Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-ay025ds

HP 15-ay025ds laptop -- The unit will not power on. The caps lock key flashes a 2.1 pattern (2 long, 1 short) but I have been unable to find what this code indicates. I have removed the power supply and battery and pressed the ON-OFF key for 1 minute, then restored power. There was no change. I also reseated the RAM but that made no difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wordbuilder,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, the laptop won't power on and caps lock light is flashing.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you made any hardware/software changes? 

Let's try these steps from the article: Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

You could refer to HP Guided Troubleshooter.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you contact our phone support.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Everyone else is just as clueless as I am, apparently. Why does HP enable the error flashes and then not post anything to indicate what they mean? I've found a couple of charts but none list the 2.1 pattern.

HP Recommended

@wordbuilder,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, the laptop won't power on and caps lock light is flashing.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you made any hardware/software changes? 

Let's try these steps from the article: Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

You could refer to HP Guided Troubleshooter.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you contact our phone support.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

* Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

HP Recommended

I had done most of the items mentioned in that article. I went ahead and reseated all connections within the unit and, now, it powers on. I'm not sure which one was loose (possibly the data ribbon for the hard drive). At any rate, it powered on, ran an automatic check of the HDD, and loaded Windows. While I haven't seen the 2.1 pattern mentioned anywhere, perhaps it denotes an error with the hard drive. Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

@wordbuilder,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.