Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15z-cw000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop was working fine one evening, next morning wouldn't start. The power LED is lit and the power switch lights up when I try to turn it on, but goes out after about 15 seconds, then comes on again after 4-5 seconds. There is no fan noise. Laptop has an SSD so no hard drive sounds to listen for. Warranty ended 2 months ago!

Tried all suggestions from virtual agent: held power switch for 15 seconds, connected to an external monitor (blank/black screen), created a BIOS update USB, etc, but nothing works. 

Have not updated the BIOS manually since purchasing in 2/19; Win10 updates applied automatically. Seems like someone had a similar problem after updating the BIOS but no solution provided. Can't seem to locate a support phone number, either. 

Update: Noticed that the LED where the power adapter plugs in flashes orange, then white when I try to turn on the laptop. The power switch lights white, and the other LED flashes orange/white when the power switch goes out. Could this be a power adapter problem? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@BC511,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04718479

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all the suggestions and the laptop still doesn't power up. In fact, I had tried all of those suggestions before even posting here. 

The power light on the side is amber/red when plugged in; when I press the power switch it alternates between amber/red and white. When the laptop was working, the light was a steady white. I have ordered a replacement AC adapter to see if that is the problem. 

HP Recommended

@BC511,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Received a new HP branded AC adapter and the laptop still won't power on. The LED on the laptop next to the power input shows solid red. I've also tried a third-party adapter with the same result. We've had this laptop just over a year and it's frustrating to have problems with it just out of warranty.

HP Recommended

@BC511

This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer as it's not powering on. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I contact a Support Engineer? When I go to the contact page, I can interact with a virtual agent which does not help. The laptop warranty ended in February 2020 but it seems there would be some kind of option to ship it for service.  Is there a phone number where I can reach an actual person? An email address? 

HP Recommended

A toll-free number was provided by PM. However, I was unable to talk to a support person without first signing up for a service agreement or paying a one-time diagnostic fee of $60 because my laptop is out of warranty by 3 months. I will either try to fix it myself or work with a local shop to diagnose and repair. For me the laptop was a big ticket item and customers should be able to at least talk to someone without paying upfront! For future purchases, I'm done with HP. 

HP Recommended

A toll-free number was provided by PM. However, I was unable to talk to a support person without first signing up for a service agreement or paying a one-time diagnostic fee of $60 because my laptop is out of warranty by 3 months. I will either try to fix it myself or work with a local shop to diagnose and repair. For me the laptop was a big ticket item and customers should be able to at least talk to someone without paying upfront! For future purchases, I'm done with HP. 

HP Recommended

@BC511

Thank you for posting back.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.