Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a hp Pavilion g6-1d48dx Notebook PC and have recently been unable to get it to start. When I turn the power on, it takes me to the Windows Error Recovery screen and asks me whether I want to launch startup repair or start Windows normally. No matter which option I choose the computer becomes a grey screen (although i can still move my mouse). Anyone else have this problem? 

- regards, Josh

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi

Please try these steps and check and let me know how it goes.

Once unit is powered on keeping tapping the F2 key run the start up test and let me know the result for the same.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

I tried to do what you have said but with no success. the F2 key does not seem to have any effect on the computer at all.

HP Recommended

Hi

Then please try the F10 key and check incase you get the screen please go to Diagnostics run the Hard drive & Memory test.

Also please try option like F8 & F11 and let me know if you get any screen.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

no matter which buttons i press none of my actions have any effect on the computer.

HP Recommended

Hi

Incase you are comfortable in reseating the Hard drive & Memory from back off your unit please try this and also incase you have 2 memory stick in your unit try 1 stick at a time and have it checked.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with this. I tapped the F2 button and ran a couple tests.  Memory passed, the  Start Up test starts at 92% and goes back to the menu also  the hard disk test failed.

HP Recommended
i did start-up test. Memory test: passed. SMART check: passed. Short DST: failed
Failure ID: GU3UXL-6366K8-MFPX01-60R603
PRODUCT ID: A7A44YA#ABA
Hard Disk 1
what should i do now?
HP Recommended

Haivdinh,

I understand you ran a few diagnostic tests on your computer and got a failure, is that correct? I will do my best to provide you the best solution for this issue.

That failure Id refers to the hard drive needing to be replaced. If you are still covered under warranty I recommend you contact the HP help desk for the best possible repair. If you reside in the US or Canada the number is 1-800-474-6836, if you reside in another location click on this link and then select your location.

If I have been helpful or if you would like to say thank you for me trying to help, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Please respond when you get a chance.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Were you able to fix the problem? Please let me know how. I am having the same problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.