Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bc018ca (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been getting  the Machine Check Exception Error and going through a loop of automatic repair followed by the blue screen of death with that error. Then it restarts and the cycle continues. I tried to boot from USB but when I go to select the USB and press enter, it just goes back into this loop.

There have been a few times (like 1 in 40 restarts maybe) that I have been able to boot successfully and log in. However, whenever I tried to download something like the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool for example, I would crash and get the blue screen of death with the machine check exception error. Some people have suggested that I have a faulty CPU?

Quick tests using the Diagnostic Tool indicates that my computer passes Hard Drive, System, and Memory, Processor tests.

Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HP-Enthusiast 

A clean install would help. Since your machine runs Wndows 10, you can do a clean install W10 for free by using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will allow you to make a bootable installation media (USB/DVD) and you can use installation media to install.

During the installation process if you are asked to enter a product key, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will install and then automatically activate once you are connected to the internet using the key embedded in BIOS of your machine.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

Note: If you wish to keep user files and applications/programs, you need to select this option from the beginning.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien

I did that and everything went okay with the installation of Windows 10 until I reached the "Getting ready" step. It just froze there. I restarted and installation failed. It will just loop again with more machine check exception errors.

HP Recommended

I also just switched harddrives and the same thing happened.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.