Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I recently installed several updates from the HP Support Assistant and unfortunately, I can no longer use some of my applications.  Specifically, I have attempted to use MODO 902 sp1 (this is 3D modeling software from the Foundry) and after double-clicking on the icon my computer freezes and then locks up.  No BSOD, but it just won't load, the Windows interface becomes useless, save for my mouse which I can still move around.  I have tried reinstalling the software and have even attempted a downgrade to an earlier version (MODO 901 sp1) but with the same result.  I tested to see if Pixologic ZBrush 4R7 sp3 works, and it loaded fine, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I should note that MODO was working fine prior to this latest HP update, however I suspect something got REALLY fubared during the installation.

In any event, I can tell you what updates were installed from the event log:

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver

Intel Software Guard Extensions Device (SGX) Driver

Intel Bluetooth Driver for Microsoft Windows 10

Realtek High-Defintion (HD) Audio Driver

Validity Fingerprint Sensor Drive

Power Media Player

My specific machine is an HP ENVY 17t-n100, Product number L8X51AV

One last thing, when I try to use the HP website to identify my machine, it keeps giving me a message to retry, claiming that it is not connected (which is absurd since it just detected what kind of HP product I'm using).

Is there ANY chance that I could somehow roll back these updates?  The only other possibility I can think of is a Windows 10 update screwed something up since I saw the last time it checked for anything new was late last night around 11:30ish or so.

Thank you for your prompt response.

P.S.  - This is the second issue in under two months' time since I first received this laptop.  The first had to deal with a defective motherboard that was replaced.  I have never had any such issues with HP products before (this is my 3rd laptop from them), which I is why I'm surprised by the amount of problems I'm having now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Been a bit busy last week, but I want to report this incident as having been resolved.  For whatever reason, I had needed to detach my two monitors from my laptop and reset the connection.  I only discovered this by accident as I had brought my laptop to work to show one of my co-workers the issues I was having.  However, everything loaded up and there were no freezes.  When I got home, I replugged my monitors in and everything has been working fine since.  Can't believe it turned out to be something so trivial, but I guess it was the only way to get the display output working correctly again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I have completely reinstalled my copy of Windows 10 and re-updated via HP Support Assistant.  I reinstalled my copy of MODO 902 afterwards, attempted to load it up and instead my PC froze necessitating a hard reboot.  I have no idea why this is happening.

HP Recommended

Hey @amajewski1983,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! This is a great place to find solutions and help from our community!

I understand you're having some trouble with the windows updates. I'd be happy to help you with that.

You can always disable the automatic updates and just pick and choose which updates you want to let run. Here's a good that will explain that: How, When, and Why to Set a Connection as Metered on Windows 10

Please keep me posted. 

You can always say thanks by hitting the Thumbs Up button below!

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

HP Recommended

@ TechSurge

I don't believe this was caused by the Windows 10 updates.  My issue is this:

I downloaded and installed the updates per HP Support Assistant which also included a BIOS update.  Afterwards, I was able to open up MODO 902, however it would freeze my screens and I would have to do a hard reboot.  Figuring that I needed to then update the nvidia driver, I did so, except then MODO would freeze after double-clicking the shortcut.  As an aside, clicking the shortcut pinned to the taskbar as opposed to the desktop would just lead to a freeze.

Therefore, I did a fresh reinstallation of Windows 10, the HP updates, and the nvidia drivers.  Unfortunately, MODO STILL froze the screen while attemtping to load (never made it as far as the splash screen).

I have been trying different things such as reverting back to the nvidia driver that was initially installed 353.84 as opposed to 361.75.  This has fixed the problem of not being able to load MODO via desktop shortcut (the pinned to taskbar icon still won't work and freezes before it can load).  I can even play around in MODO after it loads for a little bit until it freezes and locks up my PC.

I  now know that it has something to do with the GPU post HP update, since everything had worked fine prior to this.

The Bios I have loaded now is F.25 Rev A  I believe that I had F.24 Rev A prior to the HP update.

Also, when I try to check my drivers via the HP website, I receive this message:

HP encountered an error while trying to scan your product.

Please verify your product is powered on and connected, then try again in a few minutes.

Or, view all available drivers for your product below.

I assure you that I'm connected since I just typed out this message from the computer its trying to scan.

HP Recommended

Hey @amajewski1983,

Your best bet is probably gonna be to restore back to factory install, disable automatic updates, and install your software. Then once the software is installed, you can test 1 by 1 to see which update causes the issue. Other than that, there's not really a way to tell which one causes the issue. 

Please keep me posted. 

You can always say thanks by hitting the Thumbs Up button below!

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

HP Recommended

Been a bit busy last week, but I want to report this incident as having been resolved.  For whatever reason, I had needed to detach my two monitors from my laptop and reset the connection.  I only discovered this by accident as I had brought my laptop to work to show one of my co-workers the issues I was having.  However, everything loaded up and there were no freezes.  When I got home, I replugged my monitors in and everything has been working fine since.  Can't believe it turned out to be something so trivial, but I guess it was the only way to get the display output working correctly again.

HP Recommended

I have been having the same issue except I can't do much of anything! Of course I don't have a recovery disk as well.

After updating the HP assistant recommended updates, my laptop is freezing up.

I have beeen getting Failure ID 0TTUQ2-85B8AT-MFPX6J-60AX03, PRODUCT ID N5Y09UA#ABA.

Smart drive failure!

Everything was fine until I ran these updates from HP.

Help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.