Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

20220812_155517.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Dear @SkuchiesTV 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

(1) Press and hold <power> button until notebook switches off

(2) Test your hardware Using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04499777

See how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GKIpGPNRM

(3) Please report your results

This video shows how to test your HP computer hardware using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. If you suspect that your computer has hardware issues, follow the steps in this video to isolate and identify them using the HP PC Diagnostics UEFI. Chapters: 00:00 Introduction 00:18 Download and install
HP Recommended

20220812_171526.jpg

 This is the report I got.. same result applied to when I did quick check and extensive check on the hard drive

HP Recommended

Hello @SkuchiesTV 

Short DST (Drive self-test) failed means your (hard/SSD) drive has to be replaced !

You have to remove the current (hard/SDD) drive and install a new one. It depends on which drive was used

(1) mechanical 2.5" hard drive   <--- I guess that it is this one

(2) SSD drive

Assumption:

Nothing will happen to your data. Later you can use adapter (USB-to-IDE/SATA) to access your data.

Keep in mind: If there is a serious drive error, you may not be able to read all data. But it is always worth a try.

Do you need more help ?

HP Recommended

To help you I need to know the product number (p/n) of your notebook !

You will find this information on the back/rear of your notebook in small alphanumeric letters.

The product number (p/n) is legally allowed information about notebooks. This is not sensitive data.

It is allowed to publish it in public.

HP Recommended

hi

Capture d’écran 2022-08-12 200819.png

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-840-g2-notebook-pc/7343202/model/7343203/manuals?s...

HP Elitebook 840 G2 Notebook PC Product Specifications

this model is delivered in different configurations you can possibly upgrade depending on what you originally had
Computer quite fragile so to see if you can do it yourself
you have the maintenance manual here

HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC HP EliteBook 740 G2 Notebook PC HP ZBook 14 G2 Mobile Workstation -...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Alright mate, thanks I appreciate

HP Recommended

You're welcome

Good luck

HP Recommended

I appreciate your big concern mate, and I say a very big thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Replace hard drive and buy this for better performance !

See -> Samsung Electronics 870 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E500B/AM)

How to replace drive ?

(1DIY (Do it yourself)

or

(2) In your case: Service is required !
- The computer should be disassembled and checked.
- [Always recommended if device overheats] Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges should be renewed
- [Always recommended if device overheats] The function of the fan(s) must be checked

- Replace (hard) drive

- General cleaning ...
--->>> If you can't do that, you should have it < serviced > by a professional notebook (chip level) repair store.

Download -> HP EliteBook 840 G2 Maintenance and Service Guide

Starting from Page 57 Component replacement procedures

ub6424_0-1660333441673.png

ub6424_1-1660333567933.png

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.