Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
How 15-bs 506na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I need to boot my laptop using a USB memory stick but don’t know how to do this and if my laptop will boot from USB memory stick, please can you let me know how I do this. 

Thanks

matthew

Matthew
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Matthew6 

You can't boot just from a USB memory stick; instead, the stick has to be formatted and contain bootable media -- like Windows installation files or WinPE files.  So, you have to determine WHAT you want to boot from and HOW you're going to create a USB stick containing the right files.

Yes, it can boot from USB but you need to use the USB 2.0 port -- as the other ports are for charging only.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Matthew6 

You can't boot just from a USB memory stick; instead, the stick has to be formatted and contain bootable media -- like Windows installation files or WinPE files.  So, you have to determine WHAT you want to boot from and HOW you're going to create a USB stick containing the right files.

Yes, it can boot from USB but you need to use the USB 2.0 port -- as the other ports are for charging only.

HP Recommended

Hello,

thanks for getting back to me I need to using USB memory stick to load windows 10  on to my pc.

Also can you tell me were the USB 2.0 port is lon ny pc.

Thanks 

Matthew

Matthew
HP Recommended

@Matthew6 

When you use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (MCT) it provides the option to create a bootable USB stick you can use to install Win10.

Also, the different USB ports are different colors.  The 3.1 ports have blue internals, the USB 2 port is black.  They would be along the sides or back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.