Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 17-an101nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've tried to update bios on my brand new computer and it says

"There is not enough free disk space to complete System Bios and Device Firmaware update operation..."
Current Bios is F.03 and new version is F.05 Rev.A

I've tried updating from both hp support assistant and executing sp88699.exe

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Marka83

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your notebook does not have space to complete BIOS update, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Could you send a screenshot of disk space?

Do you have a lot of data installed on your notebook? 

If so, I would suggest you delete some data and then try reinstalling drivers: 

For more troubleshooting steps, please refer to this article: Click here (Although the article description is for a different issue, we could still try those steps to resolve the issue)

Step 1: Empty the Recycle Bin
Step 2: Delete temporary files and directories
Step 3: Remove unwanted programs
Step 5: Confirm that enough hard drive space is available

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Product number is at the beginning of post

Product Name: Omen 17-an101nm

I have 256gb ssd (GPT )- 215gb free and

one 1Tb hdd - few gigabytes used

I had problem with some drivers so I thought to update bios.
Now I managed to resolve those issues.

Should I even try to update my bios?

HP Recommended

@Marka83

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Yes, I would recommend you try updating the BIOS. 

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

I still can't manage to update bios.

These are pictures with message and current state of free space on my disks.

bios update 1.pngbios update.png

HP Recommended

And this is from Computer management

bios update 2.png

HP Recommended

@Marka83

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm writing on behalf of my colleague @Flower_Bud, as the tech is out for the day, That said, I have reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what you need to know:

BIOS updates are only to be installed if and when your device requires it because this is what this version of BIOS update fixes:

- Provides improved system stability.
- Provides enhanced security.

NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

That said, your hard drive is enormous and low space isn't the cause of the update failures, although considering you've been getting the error, here's what I recommend you do, let's start with a hardware test: Click here for steps (select the extensive system test) to ensure there are no hardware malfunctions within the device stopping the update from going through.

Please get back to me, with results.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I wonder if the issue is the EFI System Partition is full. This is where I would expect the update program to stage the BIOS image ready for a reboot.

The answer may be to use the "if Windows does not start" procedure for updating the BIOS - see this HP web page (click) for details. I take no responsibility if you try that procedure and it goes wrong - it's normally pretty safe, but there's always the one time it goes wrong. Though I do not see it in your images, you should manually suspend Bitlocker before installing a BIOS update by this route, then resume it after the update, as a BIOS update can invalidate the key in the TPM.

HP Recommended

Yesterday I also stumbled across the UEFI/BIOS update problem and could solve it by coincidence.

What happened? How did it go?
It says here: https://www.2good4you.net/2019/07/10/hp-firmware-update-error-not-enough-disk-space/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.