Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP L1M13PA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When starting up, after hitting any key on the screen with today's date which would normally cause the password prompt to appear, there is no text box to type in a password or pin, the sign-in screen is just the background pic and three items in the lower right: network, accessibility and power. The touchscreen, touch-pad, mouse and keyboard are all working.

I have seen a similar issue resolved on other posts; except on those the issue only occurs after waking from sleep. For me it is on start up, meaning I can't log in at all and access settings etc. for the solutions suggested on other posts.

I did not take any actions like downloading/updating software before the issue. A while ago a friend who is an IT professional did look at my background processes to see why my computer was slow, but I don't recall him stopping any system processes, and this was not immediately before this issue occured anyway. The only other thing is I was away and did not use the computer for a few weeks, but that is not unusual.

EDIT: I have tried system restore but that is not working either - at the end of the process I get a dialogue box saying it could not be completed due to an unspecified error during restore

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @AYS2

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to login since the Login Box does not show up.

I'd like to help.

I see that you have already attempted a System Restore which failed.

I appreciate you attempting this crucial troubleshooting steps.

Let's try restarting the Notebook in Safe Mode.

- Shut Down the Notebook. Upon restarting keep tapping the F11 key every one sec

- On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

- Tap or click Startup Settings. If you don't see Startup Settings, tap or click Advanced options, and then tap or click Startup Settings.

- Tap or click Restart, and then wait while your computer restarts.

- On the Startup Settings screen, Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt and restart.

- Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

- Close the Command Prompt.

- Try to login though Built-in Administrator and create a New User Account.

- Then restart your Notebook and try logging into the new Account

You can refer to this Microsoft Forum Link

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
Did you get this issue resolved? I’m having the same issue.
HP Recommended

@AYS2 wrote:

When starting up, after hitting any key on the screen with today's date which would normally cause the password prompt to appear, there is no text box to type in a password or pin, the sign-in screen is just the background pic. The touchscreen,and keyboard are NOT working.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same issue, nothing I have tried so far has worked.

Any further suggestions?

HP Recommended

The same has happened to mine, tried pressing f11 on starting up nothing happens. Any suggestions

HP Recommended

Tried that telling me not enough memory for command, what do you suggest

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.