Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs591nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, just baught my new HP notebook and installed it as indicated, following each step. After installation Windows updates needed to be done and after the last update was finsihed my notebook would restart till the loggin screen. After filling in my password the screen would go completely gray and nothing more. All lights are on, the cursor is active and I can move it, even the task manager is working. But other than rebooting the system I have no  more options. Doing that, the system will reebot again but after logging in, again the grey screen, can't get further.  The service desk from the seller helped me out with resetting the system to factory settings by going through CMD and dictating me several comands which I forgot already. My question is, what happened and will this be a problem in the future as my notebook is new? Thank you for helping me out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Cristi9-_B, It's great to hear from you again.

Thanks for getting back to us.

As you mentioned your laptop is working fine now. I'm glad to know that your issue got resolved.

You don't have to worry updating BIOS should not be a concern, it should be some driver issue which caused your PC function incorrectly.

However, I would suggest you to update the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If you have any concerns with your PC, you can always reach out to us.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Cristi9-_B, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand after your laptop restarts it boots into a black screen.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Are you able to boot into BIOS?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you boot into your PC it boots to a black screen.

Check if you see any display when you connect an external monitor.

If you are able to boot into BIOS try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

From the main or file menu select restore defaults.

Select F10 to save changes and exit.

Also, try performing a hard reset on your PC and check if it helps.

Press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.
With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.
With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.
Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot no boot issues with your laptop.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,  thank you for you reply! The notebook is working fine now. This problem occured at the first installation, after the Windows updates. The customer service from the onine shop where I purchased the notebook helped me out with resetting the factory settings, going through some steps in the command prompt. 

After the new installation was successfully finished, I started with updating all HP drivers, which were quite a lot, starting with the BIOS update to the latest F22 version. 

Looks like everything works fine right now, my only concern is if this incident dindn't harm my notebook and may cause me troubles in the future, as it is a brand new notebook. My HP notebook product nr is CND7270ZPN (HP 15-bs591nd).

If there is a specific cause to this problem I would like to know it and try to avoid it in the future.

Thanks again for your kind help! Cristi9-_B

HP Recommended

Hey there! @Cristi9-_B, It's great to hear from you again.

Thanks for getting back to us.

As you mentioned your laptop is working fine now. I'm glad to know that your issue got resolved.

You don't have to worry updating BIOS should not be a concern, it should be some driver issue which caused your PC function incorrectly.

However, I would suggest you to update the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If you have any concerns with your PC, you can always reach out to us.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.