Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4105dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past few months, the keyboard and touchpad of my notebook are very slow to wake when I boot the computer from sleep - meaning that I can't enter my PIN to get into Windows unless I use the on-screen keyboard. Typically the keyboard/touchpad functionality return only once I've been logged in for 5-10 minutes - it does not return if I wait at the login screen.

At first this only happened occasionally, but since I replaced my notebook battery earlier this week it has happened virtually every time the computer goes to sleep. My bluetooth mouse continues to work without issue. From my research I suspect it is a BIOS/power issue but thus far I've found no remedy.

Here's what I've tried:

• HP Support Assistant for current drivers/BIOS
  • Windows update
  • Double-checked my notebook's product page on HP in case there was a driver or something missing
  • Completed two hard resets on the notebook
  • Went into my BIOS and reset all settings to default
  • Went into my Device Manager to check settings for keyboards and touchpad. None had the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box checked - in fact, that option was grayed out for each device I checked
  • Also in Device Manager - these same devices are also set to "Allow this device to wake the computer"
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for the keyboard and touchpad
  • In the power settings, Fast Startup is turned off
  • Tried every Windows or HP troubleshooter I can find

I would welcome any further suggestions. If I can answer further questions to clarify anything, please ask.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JTrice77
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes.

For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Echo_Lake, I wanted to update you. First, to answer your questions:

1. Unfortunately, I can't pin down a time when this started happening. I would very roughly estimate that it was around the time I updated to the most recent BIOS (F.53) in late July or early August. However, it took me some time to really notice what was happening, as it occurred relatively rarely (perhaps 1-2x per week) so I didn't really take notice of it for some time.

Further, early on I had success with a workaround I discovered: when I woke the notebook from sleep and the keyboard/touchpad weren't working (stuck at the Windows login/PIN screen), I would simply put the computer back to sleep with the mouse (which still worked) then wake it again. This usually worked, so I didn't take the problem too seriously at first.

2. Yes, I have made a hardware change recently. My battery was bloated and I determined after researching the issue that it needed to be replaced. I did that about 11 days ago. At that point this issue of the notebook keyboard/touchpad not waking up after sleep went from an occasional issue to happening nearly every single time.

I did everything you suggested in your follow-up to my original post. I ran all the diagnostic tests in HP PC Hardware Diagnostics, the quick versions and the extended versions where possible. Additionally, per your link (HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures) I also restarted the notebook, then hit "Esc" until I was able to get into the Symptom tests. Again, I ran everything I could.

My notebook passed all tests, except for a couple pertaining to the hard drive that stalled out at around 90% completion. They did not reveal any issues. However, since I have run these tests I would say that the frequency with which my keyboard/touchpad fail to wake up from sleep has dropped down to around 50%. It is still occurring more frequently than it used to when the problem first started happening months ago, but less frequently than it was in the days after I updated my battery 11 days ago. Are these tests simply diagnostic in nature or are they able to correct errors?

[EDIT:  I remembered another minor detail. In addition to the keyboard/touchpad being slow to wake occurring less frequently now that I've run all these tests, in the instances when they are still slow to wake they also seem to be waking faster. In other words, it used to take perhaps 10 minutes for them to wake up while I used the on-screen keyboard. Now it might be more like 5. So overall the situation is improved, just not completely solved.]

If I can offer any more specifics, I'm happy to. Further suggestions are welcome.

HP Recommended

@JTrice77 
Thank you for posting back. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to Use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.