12 8 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

2000-2b19WM
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have a HP 2000-2b19WM that's giving a beep code os 3 long followed by 2 short beeps. The Caps Lock key will blink twice over and over with a pause seperating them. I've looked at the generic HP Beep Codes and they just don't fit. I read in the HP troubleshooting guide and it says to look up the codes specific for my motherboard, but I can't find them. The motherboard in my system is HP Part Number 657324-001.

I've already used another know good keyboard and memory. I've also reset the BIOS by removing the battery and tried the Remove Power-Press the Power Button for 20 Seconds-Power Up just for grins and giggles. The system still gives me the same error condition. Where can I find the appropriate code list to find the troublesome hardware issue?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 11
6,124 6,100 257 557
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

Hi

Does this match?

You get a LONG (MAJOR) signal category, RED LED &

then a SHORT (MINOR) signal category, WHITE LED.

Major – the category of the error; Minor – specific error in that category.

The AUDIBLE repeats 5 times, and the VISUAL until power is removed.

Hardware

The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

Indicates potential memory failure.

1 Reseat memory.

2 Correct memory configuration.

3 Test with known good memory.

4 Replace affected component.

A Nod Is As Good As a Wink...
Lil_Boy_Blue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

Well, maybe it does. The audible alert IS 3 long and 2 short which repeats 5 times. The visual is white only, for the 2 flashes, and continues until power is removed. I've replaced the memory, which is the same as the origina,l and tried it in the other socket. I also removed the battery to reset the BIOS. Where did you find the answer for the audible tones? My gut is telling me the main board is bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
6,124 6,100 257 557
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

Hi

That answer is my version of the convoluted corporate crud that HP issue, I hoped to make it more understandable and acceptable.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

Perhaps research and try the BIOS repair option also

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Lil_Boy_Blue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

Thank you for that info. They do make it tricky to find information. I don't do this kind of work everyday and was not aware that you could recover the bios in that fashion. Then again, I usually forget things by the next day anyhow. I update after I try those procedures.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

I just couldn't resist complicating things. I didn't start those procedures yet, but the PC stopped beeping. The CAPS Lock still blinks. Now for the brain-fart question....Does the System Board have a piezo or does it use the speakers? I ask because I can't find anything resembling a piezo.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
6,124 6,100 257 557
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

Thank you for that addition info. Unfortunately, the System Board (Motherboard) appears to be NFG. I looked at it, with fresh eyes, this morning and the bootup is not the only problem. The processor get blistering hot after only 1 minute or so. I will archive the information you provided links for in case there needed on another notebook repair.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
6,124 6,100 257 557
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

Prego.

Sorta Sorted then?

Lil_Boy_Blue

Highlighted
Level 1
12 8 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Notebook's Beeping

I marked it as accepted because your help would've worked just fine if the MB wasn't slowly failing. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation