Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On Bootup and in Search boxes the number "7" automatically repeats itself. I asked for help a few weeks ago about this here and one member suggested a keyboard"buffering" error. I did a Google search and found suggestions like deleting the keyboard driver and rebooting to re-install the same driver. It worked until the next Windows 10 Update forcing me to restore my notebook to a previous day. But, the problem just returned. 

I found several HP users with the same problem in this forum, but no one replies to them. 

Here's a detailed description of my problem: 

My laptop keyboard started acting up sometime in the middle of last year. The 7 key (top row) seems to have been 'possessed' by some software. When in text mode, the number will keep typing by itself (Example: 777777777) until I hit "ctrl". After a while it starts again.

When the laptop boots up and I bring up the Windows login screen, it will also start typing "7" repeatedly and I see the password dots filling up the box.

Recently the problem went away for a few days. The 7 key works when I pressed it and no more repeating numbers. Then the problem recurs. So I know it's not a 'key getting stuck with debris' issue. It's something related to the software. Please advise.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is there no one who can help me with this problem?

I saw 4 previous posts here over the past few years describing the same problem. But, no one answers them.

HP Recommended

@PanamaSteve100
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.
  1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices, and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes.

For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake, Thank you for replying. I downloaded the latest HP Diagnostics Tool (version 1.6.3.0) which indicated I already had it, but I clicked Overwrite in case the last download may have had problems.

I went through the entire Keyboard Test which I Passed as every key works.

Now what?

Steven

HP Recommended

@PanamaSteve100
Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest trying is a restore back to the factory. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Echo_Lake,

Years ago, I did a system restore and spent hours trying to reload the many software programs I lost during the restore. Yes, your suggestion for HP Cloud Recovery Tool is good. 

But, since my HP notebooks is 2.5 years old, I lost all HP Support as it is no longer under warranty. Thus, your suggestion: "You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties" won't work.

Finally, the last time I did a full system restore, I encountered serious problems with Windows Updates as they saw that several years of windows update were needed and tried to download 20+ important updates which crashed my laptop forcing me to buy a new laptop.

My random numbers "7s" problem stops when I press the "ctrl" key for a day or so. It just seems too drastic to do a complete system restore, software recovery, and then deal with Windows Updates. 

If this is all you can suggest, I will try the Microsoft community forum to see if they solved similar problems there.

Thanks you for your time.

I don't know how to deal with the "Is Your Problem Resolved" question I will be asked to answer for this thread. Any suggestions?

Steven
HP Recommended

@PanamaSteve100

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.