Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 15-5114dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

MN: omen 15-5114dx does not boot. Pressing the power button produces zero response other than the power SOCKET blinking orange 3 times.

The laptop was working just fine yesterday. What could be the problem?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @idkuz, Thank you for posting in HP Forum!

When you mention the power socket blinking orange 3 times, did you mean the small LED next to the port where you connect the charger?

You could also remove everything (including the charger) connected to the unit, press and hold the POWER and MUTE keys for 20 seconds and then try powering it back on. Hope this helps!

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello @the_nair_boy. Thank you for you reply.

Yes exactly. I mean the small LED next to the port where you connect the charger. If you remove the charger then the whole port blinks.

I've tried your suggestion just now, pressing POWER+MUTE(F11) for 20s and am still getting nothing except the 3 blinks.

I've also tried this with the charger on, without the charger or anything else connected and also with pressing the FN key also along with power and mute.

HP Recommended

Hi @idkuz , I'm sorry to hear the step didn't work.
As hard reset failed, you could try and perform a BIOS recovery (CBR).
Here is a HP Document you could follow for the same: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Do let me know how it goes.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I highly doubt that this is a BIOS problem.

What is the meaning of the 3 orange beep error code? Do we have a definitive answer for this?

My computer simply won't turn on. I'm suspecting a battery+power cord dual failure. But want to be sure with the 3 orange blink code.

If it was bios I'd be getting caps lock blue blinks or beeps and the laptop would at least power on wouldn't you agree?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

BIOS update can sometimes cause such issues, not common but again a possibility. While you are right about the CAPS lock key blinking for BIOS related problems, BIOS update may rarely cause BOOT issues itself.
For the model number that you provided, I couldn't find anything on 3 orange beep code error. From what I could see, the charging LED next to the charging port of the unit can either blink white, or stay either steady white or steady amber. Steady amber means battery is charging, steady white means AC adapter connected and battery is fully charged and blinking white means either battery level is low or there is a battery error.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

@The_Nair_Boy wrote:

Steady amber means battery is charging, steady white means AC adapter connected and battery is fully charged and blinking white means either battery level is low or there is a battery error.

AH Ok thank you. This is helpful. I think my default light could be changed to orange. So the blinks could be assumed as white. So is it battery error for 3 white blinks? If so what should I do. I guess my charger isn't working either because it would bypass battery and use charge fron the charger?

HP Recommended

Hey @idkuz, You're welcome. 3 white blinks could either be a battery error or maybe the unit might not be detecting the charger and the battery could be critically low. You could maybe try a different charger if possible so that we can find out if the charger is faulty or not.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you. I will try this and get back to you.

If it is a battery error shouldn't the unit still work with a functioning charger? ie. if I pulled out the battery would the laptop not boot? or does the charger have to be damaged also for it to not boot at this state? Just wondering before I go on a hint to try a different charger.

HP Recommended

Sure, please do let me know how it goes!
I believe it would greatly depend on the nature of the issue. Battery issues can be sometimes be restricted to just the battery not taking a charge, but in this case as the unit is not powering on at all it could also indicate an issue with multiple components.  

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.