2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Occasional restart immediately after login with newer BIOS / firmware versions

EliteBook 745 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

My EliteBook 745 G5, which is running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, will randomly restart (with no error message) shortly after login with a firmware newer than Q81 Ver. 01.07.00 - 04/15/2019.  If the restart doesn't occur, the system will remain stable until I lock/unlock the screen again.

I could not find any relevant entries in Event Viewer to explain this (albeit, I'm no Windows expert).  The extended HP Hardware diagnostics completed without finding any issues.  I reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults,  re-imaged the system to a clean state with the latest Windows 10 v1909 media tool from Microsoft, applied all updates/drivers that Windows Update suggested, and installed the HP Hotkey Support and System Default Settings for Windows 10 packages, but behavior continued.  Once I rollback to the 01.07.00 BIOS / firmware, the problems disappeared (seemed to occur more often with 01.08.00 than 01.09.01).  I'd prefer to run the latest firmware to get other bug fixes / security updates, but I can't sacrifice stability.  Any thoughts on troubleshooting further or anyone else experience this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation