Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 15

So a few years ago i added 1 memory ram stick of 8gb to the existing one already in and it worked really good till lately.

When i started it one day i got a black screen et the capslock beeps 3 fast 2 slow.

I checked the two of them seperatly and both work but my second ram compartments seems to not work and causes the beeps.

What can i do to fix this ? All the pins seems fine

Thanks u for helping me in advance 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello.

The capslock blink/beep code indicates memory failure as well.

If you have warranty left, contact HP to have the laptop repaired.

Please provide your specific Omen type. There have been several different Omen 15 models. e.g. "15-ek0000xy" or similar. In Windows you can get this information by pressing Fn+Esc or by running msinfo32.exe program. System SKU row has the info.

Are the memory modules provided by HP for this specific Omen model? Are they identical? Provide the memory module product numbers or take a picture and upload here so we can try validating them.

I recommend installing latest BIOS version which may have fixes for memory timings and such - and try the secondary memory slot again.

It is possible that the secondary memory slot contacts are oxidised. Shut down computer, remove all cables and peripherals, remove the battery (if possible) and remove the memory modules. Clean the memory slot contacts (pins) with a cleaning swab soaked in isopropyl. Swab the memory module contacts as well while you're at it. Isopropyl evaporates in seconds so no need to dry the laptop. (Just don't pour the isopropyl over electronics, soak the swab in it first. If the swab used leaves cotton fibres, remove them)

Finally, the secondary memory slot may be faulty and in that case you don't have many options. Memory slots are built into the system board which is usually a very expensive part to replace. You can of course replace the single memory module with a 16/32 GB part if you still need >8GB memory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.