Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Organization with multiple ProBook 455 G4's randomly turning off

ProBook 455 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have opened up a support case with HP about this, but wanted to post here also in case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.  Our organization have hundreds of HP laptops, desktops, servers, SAN's, etc.  We have nearly 100 ProBook 455 G4 laptops, all the same model - Z1Z77UT#ABA - purchased over the course of a year or so.  In the past few weeks, we have been receiving compaints from numerous users about their machines turning off randomly on them.  We have verified this behavior in nearly 2 dozen machines.  Specifically, the laptop will turn off (not following the normal shutdown sequence, but simple turn off), then will reboot again on it's own.  This behavior happens both when the laptop is plugged in to an AC power source, and also when it is on battery power (with a full charge).  It might happen several times in one day, then not happen again for a week or more.  All of the laptops are running WIndows 10 Enterprise, either version 1703, 1709 or 1803.  We have also seen this happen while imaging a laptop (OS was not yet fully installed), so we have strong reason to believe that this is not a software issue.  We have observed that the laptops are not warm to the touch when this occurs, and have run BIOS system checks fro both RAM and HD, both coming back ok.  We have upgrade some laptops to the latest BIOS release from the HP site (01.24 Rev A).  I am hoping to hear back from HP soon, but again, just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having the same issue.  Coincidentally, we have not experienced this issue with any other model of laptop or desktop, covering thousands of HP devices, going back nearly 15 years.

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
22617 3079 7444
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @JShaffer

" We have upgrade some laptops to the latest BIOS release from the HP site (01.24 Rev A). "

Did the BIOS update have any results???

REO

****Click the Blue thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
0 Kudos
JShaffer Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I didn't post anything about that yet because I don't want to jump the gun.  Thus far, we haven't seen the shutdown behavior in the units that we upgraded, but it's only been 2 working days, and it wouldn't be uncommon for that to happen.  After a few days of use, I'll reply back with the results.  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation