Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 11

I have upgraded my HP EliteBook 840 G6 to Windows 11.

At boot I get prompted:

HDD GPT is valid and is different than backup GPT:

- Enter 1 to overwrite backup GPT with HDD GPT

- Enter 2 to overwrite HDD GPT with backup GPT

- Enter 3 for no action

I want to make sure I won't loose data.

What is the right choice 1 or 2 ? (with choice 3, I get prompted the choice at every reboot)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

this happens because , in BIOS settings, GPT table protection is enabled. and that is a good protection against virus that try to delete GPT table.

GPT table contains information about disk partitions.

if during Windows 11 upgrade if have deleted Windows 10 partitions or chnaged in any way partitions scheme,  at power-on BIOS see a difference between the past (backup GPT) and present (HDD GPT) .

In this case ,

If  windows 11 starts correctly when you select  "3 for no action" , at  next reboot select  "1 to overwrite backup GPT with HDD GPT".

bye

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

this happens because , in BIOS settings, GPT table protection is enabled. and that is a good protection against virus that try to delete GPT table.

GPT table contains information about disk partitions.

if during Windows 11 upgrade if have deleted Windows 10 partitions or chnaged in any way partitions scheme,  at power-on BIOS see a difference between the past (backup GPT) and present (HDD GPT) .

In this case ,

If  windows 11 starts correctly when you select  "3 for no action" , at  next reboot select  "1 to overwrite backup GPT with HDD GPT".

bye

HP Recommended

Thank you very much !

Overwriting backup GPT with HDD GPT worked (option 1), after checking option 3 (no action) worked fine and preserved all data.

Thank you for explaining that this was due to GPT table protection (a nice feature).

HP Recommended

hello

few people know about this useful setting.

if you want to see how  to do in case of malware attack that destroy you GPT table, take a look to these YouTube videos:

short https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9GAcgQo6z0 

with more technical details  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ayxOaRZMss

bye

HP Computer are bale to save/restore the GPT table in case of corruption due to a malware attack Try this procedure with you computer
GPT table automatic restore if a malware delete the partition table, your OS is gone but if you are able the restore it, your OS will reboot without any issue. Here the capability is included in the BIOS, but you need to enable it .
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.