Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have always had a problem with this computer and can't understand why? When I first purchased it, it came pre-loaded with Windows 7 and HP factory software. The computer was functioning perfectly fine and still does.

However, I started experiencing issues when Microsoft introduced a "Free" upgrade to Windows 10 for users that had Windows 7, 8 & 8.1.

The problem is that during the update/upgrade, the PC would go to a "blank" screen, lock up and freeze. There was NO hard disc activity for over 30 - 60 minutes. I had to "force" a reboot by physically powering off and then turning back on the PC. After another reboot, it would revert and restore the previous Windows version (back to 7). I did eventually manage to upgrade to Windows 10 by downloading the ISO file onto a USB memory stick.

After 12 months of running Windows 10 with no issues, Windows released a Major update/upgrade to it's Windows 10 platform. This now reintroduced the original issue where it would go to a blank screen, lock up/freeze and then return to the previous version after a couple of forced reboots.

Thinking is was a software issue, I experimented and "returned the PC back to it's OUT-OF-BOX state." This returned my PC back to Windows 7 with minimal HP sofware as though I had just purchased it from the store.

I am again attempting to re-upgrade Windows 7 back to Windows 10 and it is still "locking up/freezing" on a blank screen during the upgrade process forcing reboots and returning back to Windows 7.

Now, I believe it can't be a software issue as I have an older PC (Compaq) and a couple of newer PC's that upgrade/update with no issues at all. After several "trial and error" attempts, I am now concluding that there MUST be a hardware issue preventing the upgrades from proceeding.

I NEED HELP PLEASE and would appreciate some information on an authorised technician to diagnose and repair my PC as this is still a good PC which works perfectly otherwise. I need it to update/upgrade so that it remains up to date with current software releases.

Please help with kindest regards and thanks in advance from Shane Simolin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you tried to clean install the OS?

Clean install of windows must have to fix all types of windows update and upgrade issues.

Try to clean install the windows 10 fall creators update directly so your system will get a fresh start. (If you have proper backup then clean all HDD partitions this will fix the partition problems (if any)).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, I understood your problem and you are facing the problem whenever you try to update or upgrade your system to newer build.

There is not a fixed cause to have an upgrade or downgrade issue. Your PC is working fine otherwise, therefore, it is not a hardware issue.

I have some basic tips you can follow easily to fix this upgrade problem.

1. Whenever you try to upgrade windows do not forget to disable the AntiVirus software. 
  2. Reset BIOS settings and then try again. 

To reset BIOS settings power off your PC >> keep pressing f10 repeatedly as soon as you press power button >> hit          f9 to reset BIOS settings >> select yes to accept the settings and reboot.

3. If you still have problems then check for viruses in your system. [Use most recent version of AntiVirus Program].

4. Use windows update troubleshooter. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2714434/description-of-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

5.  Use sfc tool. open a command prompt as administrator and enter command sfc/scannow

6. The final solution is to Back up everything from your HDD and perform a clean install. [This fixes all types of software issues]

I hope this will work for you.

HP Recommended

Hi.

Thank you for your helpful response. Unfortunately, I have followed all your instructions and it still "locked up" on a blank screen then restored the previous Windows version back to Windows 7.

When it does lock up, I notice that the cooling fan goes to high speed and the PC becomes quite warm to the touch. It only cools down again after a forced reboot.

HP Recommended

Did you tried to clean install the OS?

Clean install of windows must have to fix all types of windows update and upgrade issues.

Try to clean install the windows 10 fall creators update directly so your system will get a fresh start. (If you have proper backup then clean all HDD partitions this will fix the partition problems (if any)).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.