Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq nc4000
Microsoft Windows XP

Got an old pc and I can't logon because I don't know what the PW is. How can I just restore the laptop to factory settings so I can use it? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mikezap 

Most likely, you can't -- which is why you need to write these things down.

A PC that old is not likely to have an intact recovery partition, so when you try to use Recovery Manage, either it will fail (which is most likely) or it will prompt for the password you failed to record.  Either way, it is not going to reset.

Also, no one, including HP, has carried Vista recovery media for years and years, so it is too late now to try to get something to use to restore this PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.