Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15 Convertible PC 15-es2000 (4V390AV)

Sometimes my laptop cycles on and off when powering up and won't POST. There are no beep codes, or anything like that to indicate what the error is. I ran a Memtester, both the UEFI one and an ISO of Memtest86+. No errors in the RAM itself, though when I change it, or sometimes randomly, the above listed event occurs. The Linux tool `cat /proc/drivers/rtc | grep -i batt` reports that the status of the CMOS battery is "okay" (Which means there aren't errors if you are unfamiliar with Linux parlance). 

It won't even POST to the UEFI. The fans spin up, and then the machine shuts itself off.  After the CMOS resets itself with error 502, the machine posts and boots properly. 

What could cause this? Is there any way I can fix it?

I am both the user and the technician in this case.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.