Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 455 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
My PC turned itself off, said it needed a BIOS update so I let it update. After the update I waited for it to start backup, I was told the screen would take a bit, but finally became impatient after 30 minutes and took the battery out. Upon restarting the PC the HP logo would flash along with a circle of white dots. The HP logo goes away and the dots circle, that's it. I cannot get the PC to do anything else, accept for move the mouse on the screen. I've read many old forms, done the windows key and V/B method and more, and I'm honestly out of options.

I cannot afford another PC and depend on this one for a lot. Please, is there ANYTHING I can do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SO, I managed to fix the PC! With little to no help from HP though, just an online video and some educated guesses. Here's how I did it, by using a restore point, for those of you still having this problem.

1. On a different computer, I downloaded the latest BIOS for my PC (HP ProBook 455 G3) from this link and put it on to a CD. I think USB would work as well but I did not have one with enough space.

2. I inserted the CD into the laptop having the problem.

3.  Unplugged the charging cable and removed the battery, held the power button for 10-15 seconds, and plugged the charging cable in. Keep the battery out.

4. I pressed and held the B+Windows Key and then held the power button for 2 seconds (and then released it), while still holding the B=+Windows Key (NOTE: I was told B can also be V so yeah).

5. I would then see the same HP logo and white dot circle, but with the message of "please wait or something like "auto repaining." Give that a second to load, but if the HP logo fades and the circle of dotsis the only thing visable, start over from step 3.

6. Once the screen telling you your computer didn't start correctly pops up, hit "advanced options." Then you hit it again (or something like it) on the next screen, until you're given the option to use a resrtore point. Mine was from two weeks ago when I uninstalled something, but like a day ago won't cut it, I tried and there was no change.

7. After allowing the restore to happen, give it some time, it should boot normally like mine did.

I know it sucks to restore it (maybe even factory reset it) but it's better than buying another PC. Hope this helped!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

SO, I managed to fix the PC! With little to no help from HP though, just an online video and some educated guesses. Here's how I did it, by using a restore point, for those of you still having this problem.

1. On a different computer, I downloaded the latest BIOS for my PC (HP ProBook 455 G3) from this link and put it on to a CD. I think USB would work as well but I did not have one with enough space.

2. I inserted the CD into the laptop having the problem.

3.  Unplugged the charging cable and removed the battery, held the power button for 10-15 seconds, and plugged the charging cable in. Keep the battery out.

4. I pressed and held the B+Windows Key and then held the power button for 2 seconds (and then released it), while still holding the B=+Windows Key (NOTE: I was told B can also be V so yeah).

5. I would then see the same HP logo and white dot circle, but with the message of "please wait or something like "auto repaining." Give that a second to load, but if the HP logo fades and the circle of dotsis the only thing visable, start over from step 3.

6. Once the screen telling you your computer didn't start correctly pops up, hit "advanced options." Then you hit it again (or something like it) on the next screen, until you're given the option to use a resrtore point. Mine was from two weeks ago when I uninstalled something, but like a day ago won't cut it, I tried and there was no change.

7. After allowing the restore to happen, give it some time, it should boot normally like mine did.

I know it sucks to restore it (maybe even factory reset it) but it's better than buying another PC. Hope this helped!

HP Recommended
Mine has no visible battery I can remove, and the backing is firmly attached with star shaped torx screws.
HP Recommended
I'd try everything, just not removing the battery. I know B+Windows (as well as FN+F1 or just F1 if you don't have FN) and the held power button will turn off the PC too. You may have to do some research to find out where your battery is and how to get it out.
HP Recommended
Turning it off isn't the issue. It won't turn on.
HP Recommended
I know, mine was the same, but you have to turn it off to begin the process.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.