Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8470p Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

please guide me enter password admin bios hp elitebook 8470p

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

EDIT : June - 2019 - process below has been changed

=============================================

Hi @Kevin3317

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Most business class notebooks (including Elitebook and Probook) have better stronger security than average consumer homer style PCs... BIOS password for Elitebooks cannot be removed here in the forum - you will have to contact HP Business Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

>> if in the USA -> call 1-(800)-334-5144 toll free

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Note that assistance for such issues is usually free of charge for HP business class computers.

Once you receive the bin file from Tier II support, here are the necessary instructions you need to follow

Please make sure USB pendrive is formatted to FAT32 (not NTFS, not else)

Follow these steps to clear an unknown password for the BIOS administrator:

1. Save the attached SMC.bin file to a blank USB pendrive.
2. Shut down the notebook. Insert the USB pendrive into any USB port. (If this notebook has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, use a USB 2.0 port.)

3. Press and hold the following three keys at the same time:

the Windows key (near alt) , the Up-Arrow key, and the Down-Arrow key

4. Click one and release the power button

You will understand it worked

5. Once you see a grey "SMC Command" screen, release the three keys mentioned in step 3.

(Note: Steps 3, 4, and 5  signal the BIOS of this notebook to examine the USB ports and the HP_TOOLS partition for an SMC.bin file, and if it detects one, to run its command. This SMC.bin file contains the command to allow access into the BIOS as a BIOS administrator without supplying a password.)

You should see something on your screen

6. Read the grey screen about "SMC Command":

6a. If you see a message "SMC Command failure", contact HP support and attach photo of the F1 System Information
screen.

6b. On the other hand, if you see no "SMC Command" message of any sort, try steps 3, 4, and 5 again. You may also use a different brand and smaller capacity USB key. If that does not succeed, contact HP support. Pay attention to step 3 - press and hold the 3+1 button at the same time or very very fast one after another.

6c. If you see a message "SMC Command success", then the command has worked. Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the device. Begin tapping the F10 key (or the Esc key) like tap-tap-tap during start, so that the machine will go into the BIOS setup screen. (For this boot only, the machine should let you enter Setup without having to supply an administrator password. If the unit is restarted without performing the next step, the process will need to be ran again).

7. From the File screen in the BIOS, highlight and select the option to "Reset BIOS Security to factory defaults". (This will clear the old unknown password.) Follow the prompts, and restart the notebook when prompted. Reminder: if this notebook uses
BitLocker full disk encryption software, please choose to NOT reset the TPM! If it does not use BitLocker, you can also clear the TPM.

8. If you wish to set a new administrator BIOS password, you may do so on a future boot cycle by pressing F10 and setting a fresh BIOS admin password within the BIOS setup screen.
If there is any difficulty, particularly at steps 6a or 6b, contact HP support

If the above does not help, please contact HP Business support

Hope this helps. Please, mark the post as a solution if it helped.

Let me know if you face any difficulties.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

EDIT : June - 2019 - process below has been changed

=============================================

Hi @Kevin3317

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Most business class notebooks (including Elitebook and Probook) have better stronger security than average consumer homer style PCs... BIOS password for Elitebooks cannot be removed here in the forum - you will have to contact HP Business Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

>> if in the USA -> call 1-(800)-334-5144 toll free

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Note that assistance for such issues is usually free of charge for HP business class computers.

Once you receive the bin file from Tier II support, here are the necessary instructions you need to follow

Please make sure USB pendrive is formatted to FAT32 (not NTFS, not else)

Follow these steps to clear an unknown password for the BIOS administrator:

1. Save the attached SMC.bin file to a blank USB pendrive.
2. Shut down the notebook. Insert the USB pendrive into any USB port. (If this notebook has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, use a USB 2.0 port.)

3. Press and hold the following three keys at the same time:

the Windows key (near alt) , the Up-Arrow key, and the Down-Arrow key

4. Click one and release the power button

You will understand it worked

5. Once you see a grey "SMC Command" screen, release the three keys mentioned in step 3.

(Note: Steps 3, 4, and 5  signal the BIOS of this notebook to examine the USB ports and the HP_TOOLS partition for an SMC.bin file, and if it detects one, to run its command. This SMC.bin file contains the command to allow access into the BIOS as a BIOS administrator without supplying a password.)

You should see something on your screen

6. Read the grey screen about "SMC Command":

6a. If you see a message "SMC Command failure", contact HP support and attach photo of the F1 System Information
screen.

6b. On the other hand, if you see no "SMC Command" message of any sort, try steps 3, 4, and 5 again. You may also use a different brand and smaller capacity USB key. If that does not succeed, contact HP support. Pay attention to step 3 - press and hold the 3+1 button at the same time or very very fast one after another.

6c. If you see a message "SMC Command success", then the command has worked. Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the device. Begin tapping the F10 key (or the Esc key) like tap-tap-tap during start, so that the machine will go into the BIOS setup screen. (For this boot only, the machine should let you enter Setup without having to supply an administrator password. If the unit is restarted without performing the next step, the process will need to be ran again).

7. From the File screen in the BIOS, highlight and select the option to "Reset BIOS Security to factory defaults". (This will clear the old unknown password.) Follow the prompts, and restart the notebook when prompted. Reminder: if this notebook uses
BitLocker full disk encryption software, please choose to NOT reset the TPM! If it does not use BitLocker, you can also clear the TPM.

8. If you wish to set a new administrator BIOS password, you may do so on a future boot cycle by pressing F10 and setting a fresh BIOS admin password within the BIOS setup screen.
If there is any difficulty, particularly at steps 6a or 6b, contact HP support

If the above does not help, please contact HP Business support

Hope this helps. Please, mark the post as a solution if it helped.

Let me know if you face any difficulties.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you !
I am Vietnamese so I do not know English. I have followed the support link but failed. Can you send SMC.bin file to my mail?
Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Hi @Kevin3317

Thank you for your feedback and reply.

Unfortunately, I do not work for HP and I cannot send you the SMC.bin file.

You are writing this in English, so your English is OK, in my opinion. You only need basic English to get this done.

HP offers support in English only for Vietnam from what I see from my checks.

You can contact HP via web/chat from this url (tailored for your PC model ) >> https://support.hp.com/vn-en/contact-hp/product/hp-elitebook-8470p-notebook-pc/5212907

Try that and let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Hi, how to reset  Password admin bios hp elitebook 8470p ?

HP Recommended

@ghazlan wrote:

Hi, how to reset  Password admin bios hp elitebook 8470p ?

Hi

The process described above has been changed. Here is the new one >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824

HP can remove BIOS and power on passwords via a service of the computer. You can contact HP Support to set this up. Options vary depending on location and warranty status (Service fee may apply). You will have to  contact HP Support  for assistance on removing the password.

• Here is how to reach to HP in your country/region:

>> https://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.