Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-f085sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I cant power on my laptop!!! :manfrustrated:

I've taken the battery out and held down the power button (with power adaptor out too) for 30 seconds as I've read on other peoples posts.

When I put the battery back in and power adaptor the light next to it flashes 3 times and the laptop doesnt turn on.

What else can I try to fix this?

I cant turn on my laptop and have urgent course work I need (if only I backed up)

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SIXfoot5ins

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

This sounds very much like a hardware failure, and speaking realistically, it would take a week or more to send this off and get it fixed, and you would not have access to the course work the entire time!

If it were mine, my immediate concern would be recovering the course work and migrating that to another PC so I could continue to work on it while I addressed getting the laptop repaired offline.

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the hard drive from the PC
2) Purchase a USB-to-Hard Driver adapter kit (like the one illustrated below)

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

3) Connect the old drive to the working PC
4) Try to retrieve the files and folders you want to save from the old drive and copy them to the new PC.

Once you've done that, you need to tell us whether or not your laptop is still under the original one-year warranty to we can advise regarding diagnostics and repair.

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SIXfoot5ins

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

This sounds very much like a hardware failure, and speaking realistically, it would take a week or more to send this off and get it fixed, and you would not have access to the course work the entire time!

If it were mine, my immediate concern would be recovering the course work and migrating that to another PC so I could continue to work on it while I addressed getting the laptop repaired offline.

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the hard drive from the PC
2) Purchase a USB-to-Hard Driver adapter kit (like the one illustrated below)

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

3) Connect the old drive to the working PC
4) Try to retrieve the files and folders you want to save from the old drive and copy them to the new PC.

Once you've done that, you need to tell us whether or not your laptop is still under the original one-year warranty to we can advise regarding diagnostics and repair.

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would suggest you to perform the following:

1. Please remove and reseat the Memory Card and then have a check if the unit powers on or not.

2. Please try swapping the memory with another.

If the issue gets fixed using step 1, please keep us updated.

And if the swapping of memory works fine, then contact Support and get the assistance on Memory.

And if both the steps does not work, then please contact HP Contact support for immediate assistance.

Regards,
Phinny J Thadathil

"I am an HP Employee"
HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood

HP Recommended

Thanks Phinny, I will give this a try

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.