Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cc123cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop locks up at least once a day. It never locks up while I'm actively using it. It only happens when its been idle for a while. The screen is black (off) and nothing will recover it. A shudown by holding the power button is required and then it boots normally. I've looked at the Windows logs and can't see anything giving me a hint about what the problem is. I've got everything up to date as per the HP assistant and I've run all the diagnostics - including those available at boot time via F2. No problems ever discovered. I see lots of other posts about lockups here - seems like this is not unusual.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@nooneuknow

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you please help me with the error code as the issue is code specific.

Please capture the error code or message on the blue or black screen if it appeared before the computer turned off automatically,

I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix: 

· In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings

· In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings

· Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart and then click OK

· Restart the computer to apply the change. 

· The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs. 

For more details: click here 

However, if the computer shuts down and the lights on both the power button and the charger port turn off, 

you may need to try with an alternate power adapter and reseat the battery before you try using it again 

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link:www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

After putting up with htis problem for many months I think I may have resolved the issue. All I did was disable remote assistance in the system properties Remote tab. This laptop locked up at least once a day - and often more than that. Since disabling remote assistance it has not locked up one time. I had enabled remote assistance shortly after buying this laptop in order to resolve an issue (at the moment I don't recall what the problem was). I had forgotten to disable it. If the lockup re-appears I'll return with an update.

HP Recommended

@nooneuknow

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.
:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

OK - I was mistaken about what I thought was the problem. But I have now discovered a solution. It seems that if I enable turning off the screen via right-clicking the desktop -> Personalize -> Lock Screen -> Screen Timeout Settings then the laptop will eventually lock up and I'll need to reboot. I've set this setting to Never and the lockup has not happened for almost two weeks.

HP Recommended

@nooneuknow

Appreciate all your time and efforts,

Thanks for the valuable input.

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj1788

I am having the exact same problem with the same model laptop.

HP Pavilion 15-cc123cl  with Windows 10

After trying numerous attempts and suggestions, installing all Windows Updates and HP updates, and disabling a variety of settings within Windows,  nooneuknow  has correctly identified this problem and when it happens.

(By the way, nooneuknow ,  thank you for taking the time to document your problem, as it confirms all the trouble I've been having with this laptop since the day I bought it.....extremely frustrating. )

When the laptop screen turns off after inactivity and attempts to enter Sleep Mode (according to the designated time listed in the Power & Sleep settings), instead of going into actual "Sleep" mode, the screen goes black, the CPU fan is still spinning, and the power light remains Solid white (not blinking, as it should be in Sleep mode).  This is the case one minute after it goes into sleep mode or 4 hours after it went into sleep mode  (plugged into power source).

Any combination of key presses, function key combinations, or mouse clicks does not wake up the laptop.

The only solution is to hold down the power button until it powers off and do a cold boot.

The recommendation that nooneuknow   presented does prevent this issue from happening because setting the Screen timeout to NEVER turn off prevents the laptop from attempting to go into Sleep mode. 

However, Raj1788 this is NOT a solution.   

Windows sleep mode is a valuable feature, especially when traveling with the laptop. By setting this screen option to NEVER causes the battery to be in constant use, the screen is always on, and drains the battery much sooner than if it could enter Sleep mode.

Therefore, I would kindly ask you to please investigate this issue further for us.  I would not be surprised that there are many others experiencing the same issue, but it is not exactly easy to describe or identify the pattern.

I hope you can understand our position, and I trust that you and your team can offer some real solutions to resolve this issue permanently.

Thanks,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hi @celaviMike

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.