Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an elderly Pavilion dv7-3065dx that I would like to try Linux on.  I have a bootable USB stick with a Linux distro, but I can't access the BIOS to change the boot order.  I press ESC during boot to get to the BIOS, but then it says F9 to change the boot device, and none of the function keys have any effect.  The HD has been replaced with a SSD if that matters.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Windhorn 

Pressing Esc does not get into the BIOS settings; it gets into the HP Startup Menu.  Pressing F10 will get you into the BIOS settings.

Have you tried just booting from the USB stick? Asking  because I have a DV6 and it just boots from any USB stick inserted into any USB port.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

> Pressing Esc does not get into the BIOS settings;

>it gets into the HP Startup Menu.  Pressing F10 will

>get you into the BIOS settings... Have you tried just

>booting from the USB stick? 

Thanks, F10 worked, but there's no option to boot from USB.

This machine has a DVD player, so if I put a copy of the distro on DVD, I can boot from it.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Allen

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.