Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The notebook won't boot properly and when running the Hard Drive Short DST check  it comes up with:

FAILURE ID: PLLC0C-730AAK-MFPV6J-60VS03

Does this mean the hard disk is failing and needs replacing? Or could it be corruption ? Going into the recovery menu which starts automatically I can see all the files on the C drive (or at least it looks that way and chkdsk shows no errors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the error report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
PLLC0C-730AAK-MFPV6J-60VS03OKXXXXXXXXXX12/4/20303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

c04069163 (hp.com)

You may want to consider replacing the drive with a better performing, normally more reliable solid state drive (SSD).

After you replace the drive, you can reinstall W10 for free by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion 17-e105sa Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

After you remove the drive, you may be able to read/recover files from it by purchasing a USB to SATA hard drive cable, plug the drive into a PC and see if you can read/copy any files you need to keep onto the PC.

Something like this...

USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable for 2.5" SSD HDD Drives: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the error report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
PLLC0C-730AAK-MFPV6J-60VS03OKXXXXXXXXXX12/4/20303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

c04069163 (hp.com)

You may want to consider replacing the drive with a better performing, normally more reliable solid state drive (SSD).

After you replace the drive, you can reinstall W10 for free by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion 17-e105sa Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

After you remove the drive, you may be able to read/recover files from it by purchasing a USB to SATA hard drive cable, plug the drive into a PC and see if you can read/copy any files you need to keep onto the PC.

Something like this...

USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable for 2.5" SSD HDD Drives: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul T,

You have confirmed my suspicions. I have already obtained an SSD to replace the HD before the HD threw a wobbly and have some USB to sata adapters somewhere. Looks like I willhave to bring forward the installation.

The links you posted up ae very helpful though, thankyou.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

While your at it, if your notebook has two wifi antenna cables attached to the card in there now, if you want to upgrade the wifi adapter, you can install this model:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

They're probably around 20 quid on eBay.   Search by the HP part number.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul,

Seem to be just under £20 for an HP branded one and under £10 for one from China - both new. Hmm...

HP Recommended

Anytime.

I bought one from China since I was in no hurry to get it.

I think it cost me around 17 bucks new, and that was a few years ago.

I just made sure that it had that part number on it.

I  installed it in a HP 350 G1 which also had an Intel 4th Gen core processor like your notebook has.

HP Recommended

OK, I can't believe I need to ask this but I do.

Have replaced the HD with an SSD, and after various problems have eventually got a DVD with Win 10 ready to install.

Without an OS on the Pavilion how to I get the DVD drive to eject so I can put a DVD in to boot off?

The button on the drive does not appear to work during or after booting, and there is no hole to put a paperclip in for a manual ejection.

DVD drive has been fine up until the HD failure so I have no reason to suspect a DVD drive failure.

Seems daft if I have to string down the laptop and remove the DVD drive just to open it somehow.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have never come across that issue before.

Anytime I have installed Windows (any version) on a PC/notebook with no OS, pressing the button on the DVD drive has always allowed me to open the drive to insert the disk.

Suggest you use the Media creation tool's automatic bootable USB creation option.

That way you can at least get W10 installed, and figure out why the DVD drive isn't opening later.

Worst case scenario is you can use the software eject option by right clicking on the DVD drive once you are in Windows.

HP Recommended

Something is definiely against me on this one

Bad enough the HD failed, then first 4 attempts to download the W10 iso failed (2 different computers - reasons unknown), finally managed to get it downloaded on my eldest sons PC. Came to write the DVD and found I only had 4.7G blanks of various kinds. Bought some 8.5GB DVDs  so now I've managed to write the DVD only to find can't get the built in drive opened on the laptop.

Don't have a large enough USB pen drive available, so another delay...

Have found an external DVD player and an external Blu-ray so I will try them first.

HP Recommended

Yes, the newer builds of W10 won't fit on a standard DVD.

If you have an external DVD, that should work but when installing W10 from a DVD you may have to go into the BIOS, and enable legacy mode.

See this link for more info.

HP Notebook PCs - Cannot Start Notebook Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.