Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop stopped working last year when all of a sudden the screen went black and i could turn the device on but the screen wouldnt display. i did some research and checked the hp laptop led blink codes and found out that it was a (3.2) memory issue, so i went and put ram sticks in it that i new worked and i still had the same issue. After that, i figured  the dimm slots had to have been broken because that was the only other thing that couldve been related to the memory beside the ram so i gave up because buying a new motherboard wasnt a valid option. ive come back to it recently after doing more research about the beep code and saw that the issue could be with my bios. So i did the whole process of going to hp support and downloading the bios update for my device putting it on a usb flash drive and pressing the windows + b key and power button to access bios and update but still not working. Ive also tried that with batteries removed and not removed, windows key + v, only b, external display, reseating memory, new laptop screen, changing memory slots, power plugged in and out, new ssd, i mean ive tried everything. i cant think of anything else besides the motherboard but the motherboard is working just fine. Im stumped on what to do, please help.

Edit: Could it also possibly be the BIOS chip is somehow broken?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jirovvassily 

BIOS chip - no.

This is a hardware memory failure code and if you have replaced the RAM sticks with good ones that are known to work, then it is the memory controller on the motherboard -- and replacing a motherboard is a very difficult one to do (because HP does not sell them) and very costly, as well.  Plus, you then have to buy your own Windows license because the OEM license is tied to the motherboard, not the PC owner.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, so is there nothing i can do to this laptop to fix it? Or is taking to a repair shop still an option?

HP Recommended

@jirovvassily 

Unfortunately, the HP diagnostics do not identify the specific hardware faults on memory errors.  When not the memory sticks, it could be the memory controller, or other components -- but these requires motherboard replacement.

So yes, you can take it to a repair facility, but they are probably NOT going to be able to do anything for you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.