Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion - Product Number: F4T58EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago the behaviour of the power button on my laptop has changed. Pressing the power button appears to send the laptop to sleep, but when I try to wake it up, it starts a complete re-boot that takes anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Also, any open apps are closed. The same happens not just for the power button, but also when selecting the 'Sleep' option in the start-up menu.  I checked the power  options in the Windows setup repeatedly and they all indicate that the Power Button should send the laptop to sleep (screenshot below). 

I also contacted Windows support and after various attempts to resolve the issue, it was suggested that this may be a hardware driver issue. Checking the device manager, there don't appear to be any apparent driver issues.

Some posts (e.g. https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-windows-10-shuts-down-instead-sleep-hibernating/) suggest that this may be an issue with the Intel Management Engine Interface and I noticed that my IMEI driver does not have a 'Power Management' tab (see second screenshot below). However, using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant suggests that all Intel drivers for my laptop are up to date.

Any suggestions/help on fixing this problem would be highly welcome as it is a bit annoying not being able to put the laptop into sleep mode.

Power options.jpg

IMEI.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Volko

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's perform these steps:

Windows Updates -  

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.  

2) Check for updates.  

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

HP Support Assistant Updates -  

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.  

2) Check for updates.  

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Let's also update the BIOS: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Betty0610,

Thanks for your response. I followed your suggestions and checked for Windows Updates, but the Windows installation is up to date. I also did a BIOS update following the manual BIOS installation instructions (Device manager does not have a 'Firmware' tab on my laptop). That all completed successfully.

However, it didn't change the behaviour of the laptop. It still does a complete re-boot taking between 5 and 10 minutes regardless of the method I use trying to put it into sleep mode.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Volko

HP Recommended

We'll have to then perform a recovery:

1. Shutdown the computer.  

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3. Press F11 once for System Recovery.  

4. Choose the Keyboard Layout.  

5. Click on Troubleshoot.  

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery.  

Note : Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.

Doing a complete system recovery sounds like a rather drastic step and I am slightly reluctant to do this at the moment. I am relying on the laptop for work and I am concerned that it would take a long time with little guarantee that it will resolve the issue. 

As the laptop was originally shipped with Windows 8, I assume that a system recovery would also result in the operating system reverting to Windows 8 and then needing to be upgraded again.

Do you have any idea how long it would typically take to perform a system recovery?

Thanks,

Volko

HP Recommended

I would then recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this is a motherboard issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.