Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-j108el
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Notebook: HP ENVY 15-j108el

I use the laptop like a desktop, with external display, mouse and keyboard. So I positioned the laptop in a zone not very accesible. I would like to power on my laptop without open the lid.
I checked the energy saving settings to avoid stand-by on lid closing.

Then I looked for the settings in the BIOS (updated to the last version) where you can choose power-on with mouse or keyboard, but I can't found them.
Is it possible to do what I ask?

Furthermore is it possible to set the windows login with fingerprint only if the lid is open? In case I use the laptop out of my office I prefer to use the biometric sensor; in my office I will use the standard password login.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kazuma-Ste

>>>   I would like to power on my laptop without open the lid.

No, for machine without proper docking station, you have to open the lid even the power button is on the side of your machine

>>>  where you can choose power-on with mouse or keyboard

No, you can't, you have to use your fingers to power on the machine,

>>> is it possible to set the windows login with fingerprint only if the lid is open?

You always have to open the lid to power on the machine anyway.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick answer.

Can I try to use WOL (wake on lan)?

My notebook support this function?

If yes, only with the lid open?

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

I want to power up my HP Envy laptop without opening the lid. It is connected to a Targus DOCK180USZ Docking Station. The power button is also on the side of the laptop.

Right now I have to open teh lid, press the power button, let the screen come on, and then I can close the lid and the laptop continues working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.