Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 6545b
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP ProBook 6545b notebook computer with Windows 10 Professional 32 bit installed. (It came from being Windows 7 Professional).

The computer started up and I signed in with no problems but about ½ hour later I looked and the screen was dark but the hard drive light and the power light were both on.

I shut it down and almost every time since this occurrence, when I start it, the time screen will come on for a split second and go off, the plain lock screen will come on and go off back to the dark blank screen.

If I press the enter key, the sign in screen will come on with the box to enter my password but immediately goes back off.

Once in a while, when first turning it on, just for a second, I’ll get the Windows logo with the circular dots but it goes right back off.

I’ve tried pressing the “escape” key at first boot, to get the HP “F” keys to bring up diagnostic operations, but to no avail.

I’m not sure if it might be the HDD or the RAM or maybe something else.
Now, the computer is about 7 years old so I’m expecting that something may have or is in the process of failing.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=402136...

Your laptop came with AMD processor with UMA graphics

Page 3-10 shows listed compatible processors you can replace with, in turn for replacing integrated graphics.

Top processor - AMD Turion II Ultra M620 2.5-GHz processor (35W, 2-MB L2 cache) : 576255-001

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC5X5BZ8402&FM=1

Page 3-13 shows you that your notebook series has a single motherboard listed with no soldered discrete graphics (UMA graphics on die with processor)

So to change graphic system, you've to change processor. No other change needed.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
Hi,

Are you not able to tap away F2 key (keep tapping) as soon as you power on laptop, to enter System Diagnostics BIOS?

Perform hardive and memory tests from here. Let it finish.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I was only once able to get the F1 key to work, which just shows system information. And I tried that again and it didn't work. The rest of the F keys didn't work at all.

I'm planning to try to reseat the RAM and see if that makes a difference.

HP Recommended

Please connect external keyboard and try.

HP Recommended

I reseated the RAM and it didn't help. I also replaced the HDD with another that works and has Windows 7 installed and that didn't really help.

I'm wondering if maybe the video card is dying?

I haven't tried an external monitor yet.

HP Recommended

You cannot take HDD from another machine and put it in this. Windows licence is non transferable.

Are not able to test hard drive and memory?

Try tapping away F2 key with external keyboard.

HP Recommended

I don't mean to break any Microsoft rule but I was able to use the notebook keyboard and get the F2 key to do the memory test but when the progress bar reached 100%, the screen goes blank again.

I did, at one point, have the home screen with that Windows 7 drive come on but it constantly flickered. That's why I thought maybe the problem was with the video card.

Even though I have an A.S.T. from a trade school in Network Administration and Security along with certification in CompTIA A+, I have no testing equipment, which is why I used the other hard drive.

I was also able, in Windows 7, to get the F8 key to work and I tried starting using the low resolution video, but that made no difference.

HP Recommended
Hi,

You've Windows 10 installed currently?

Do a repair install of Windows 10: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Clean boot before repair install to see if the issue persists : https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If yes, graphics driver is the issue.

Is the symptoms not the in BIOS setup.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

As far as I know Windows 10 is installed correctly. But my thought was that maybe an update in the Windows updates from this past Tuesday (April 11) might have caused a problem; hence the reason I tried that other HDD.

I didn't try anything with the BIOS because I stupidly put a password on it a few years ago and more recently forgot the password. I just now un-plugged the computer and took the coin battery out to clear the BIOS password.

Will the repair install delete files and folders I have on that HDD?

If I remember, I believe I took everything except some programs off, just in case. ( I have 3 external hard drives where LOTS is saved, as well as a 32 GB flash drive)

I have another questions that's slightly related. A while ago, the optical drive kept running, even with the drawer open and I even went in Device Manager and disabled it, and it still kept running with no disk in it, so I went back into Device Manager and deleted the CD/DVD player and that made it stop. Can I re-install that into Device Manager and if so, how?

I want to thank you for all your help, by the way.

HP Recommended
Hi,

You're more than welcome.

Restarting the system should install optical drive driver back

Repair install will not format/delete anything. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Clean boot would tell you if it is driver issue beforehand

Regards

Visruth
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.