Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 6565b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I have an HP ProBook 6565b that will not power on at all; no screen activity, no booting to BIOS, no fans starting, no HDD's spinning... nothing.

The symptoms that I'm seeing are as follows:

- No lights come on at all when on battery power.

- On AC power, the only keyboard area lights that appear is the power button stays steadily on (no blinking, just stays on). 

File_000 (1).jpeg

- On AC power, the only 'front' lights that appear is the Power LED (stays steady on) and the 'lightning' LED (stays steady on, but blinks 1x-2x a second; I'm assuming a 2nd LED or higher brightness blinking).

File_001 (1).jpeg

I have a feeling this is a hardware power issue, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it very far.

I've tried the following:

• Removed the battery and powered it up =no start/no lights (see above)
  • Connected it to AC power and powered it up =no start/no lights (see above)
  • Removed the battery, pressed and held the power button for 30 seconds, re-inserted the battery, and tried powering on (with AC, same lights as above; with battery = no start/no lights)

Any advice? Thoughts? The laptop is out of warranty, so that's unfortunately not an option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

Then it would be a hardware/motherboard issue and needs service.

You can call HP and setup a service or take the unit to a authorized service center.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

This has the solution:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
HP Recommended

@Karthik wrote:

#HPExpertDay

This has the solution:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Hi Karthik,

I've reviewed the page and have the following notes for you:

• I tried the Hard Reset previously; no startup screen appears.
  • I've blown out the air vents; there's no difference in functionality, it still will not start.
  • There are no audible beep codes emitting from the laptop at all.
  • There are no blinking sequences for either the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys when on AC power
    • No lights at all when on battery power
HP Recommended

Hello ,

This does seem like a hardware issue and you seem to have already finished the basic troubleshooting.

Now you probably need to isolate which hardware part is faulty. The document share above should help.

However , if possible try testing with a different AC adapter / battery to rule them out as suspects first.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay

You can call HP and setup a service or take the unit to a authorized service center.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

HP Recommended

@Li_Ach wrote:

Hello ,

This does seem like a hardware issue and you seem to have already finished the basic troubleshooting.

Now you probably need to isolate which hardware part is faulty. The document share above should help.

However , if possible try testing with a different AC adapter / battery to rule them out as suspects first.

Hi Li_Ach,

I've tried your solutions with the following results:

• Tried a different AC power adapter, no changes in results.
  • Tried a different battery
    • The same lights that appear during AC power now appear with a fully charged battery
      • Steady on white power button
      • Steady on white power LED (front)
      • Steady on (bright blinking) 'lightning' LED
HP Recommended
Spoiler

@Karthik wrote:

#HPExpertDay

Hi Karthik, 

Appreciate your help today. I'm thinking it's unrepairable at this point as well. I'll speak with my company and look into service options. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey ,

It looks like a faulty system board then , see if there is anything on screen when you connect an external monitor , just to make sure its not a 'no display ' issue.

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.