Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17-u018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to upgrade my Envy 17-u018ca laptop from Insyde BIOS F.23, 2016-09-13 to Insyde BIOS F.25 Rev. A, 2016-12-16 as provided on the HP Software and Drivers page for the laptop.  The update program runs and Upate the BIOS on this device is selected.  An error message, "This BIOS update is not support legacy flash method.  Please select "Create Recovery USB flash drive" to create crisis dongle and run this utility again.  Click "Exit" to close this utility."  I have created the Recovery USB dongle whcih formats the dongle but leaves no files on the dongle.  Then I rerun the utility and always receive the same error message.  The HP Software and Drivers page does not list any special instructions to be able to upgrade the BIOS.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  Is there a solution?  The BIOS update is listed to support Windows 10 v1607.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Albertatoltec

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand there is a Problem with BIOS upgrade to Insyde F.25 Rev.A, Dec 16, 2016,

Don't worry as I have an article that should help resolve your concern: Click here

If you've already done the steps and the issue persists, please Contact HP For further assistance as the PC requires a hardware service.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Albertatoltec

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand there is a Problem with BIOS upgrade to Insyde F.25 Rev.A, Dec 16, 2016,

Don't worry as I have an article that should help resolve your concern: Click here

If you've already done the steps and the issue persists, please Contact HP For further assistance as the PC requires a hardware service.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The provided link did assist in the upgrade of the BIOS although the process and intent was not intuitive.  The link refers to restoring or recovering BIOS on a HP laptop not to upgrading the BIOS.  It would have been helpful to mention that the intent is to pretend that a recovery of the BIOS is taking place but rather the new BIOS is placed on the USB flash drive rather than the current or previous one.

The second method deals with recovering the BIOS using an external USB device.  The purpose being to create a recovery USB flash drive should the BIOS become corrupt.  A 1 Gig USB flash drive was used as the external device.  The recovery USB creation process worked only after the flash drive was formatted as FAT32.  A point that should have been mentioned in the procedure. The BIOS Update would not copy the files when it was formatted as just FAT. It would have also been helpful to understand the purpose of the Windows Logo key + B step. Not being a regular Windows shortcut, the purpose is only understood as a BIOS recovery process using a USB flash drive.

The update of the flash drive worked however and error message comes up when the laptop reboots after the BIOS recovery. The recovery message indicates the BIOS recovery fails. Upon pressing the Enter key to continue the laptop does boot properly. Powering down the laptop after the successful boot and checking the BIOS does indeed show that the BIOS was updated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.