Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-v000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I was replacing my HP laptop Spectre 13-v000 battery when upon booting it required me to enter the “Administrator Password or Power on Password.” I never set a password on my BIOS and that happened. So, I entered the password 3 times wrong and showed me “Recovery Options: Insert HP SpareKey USB Recovery Key.” I didn’t have that, so I tried other options online like the Windows Key+B method to reinstall the BIOS. It reinstalled the BIOS without a problem. Still same booting problem requiring the Power on Password after turning off and on again.

I also wanted to try the CMOS battery short trick, but this laptop doesn’t have one, instead it’s included with the battery pack. I checked the battery female connector to see which of the pin is the CMOS one, but it has 30 pins. I took a paper clip and tried to swipe the pins while the battery is plugged, it made some spark. But, booting it again same “Administrator Password or Power on Password” required. 

Please, does anyone have a solution for this? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey @JoshuaSM 🙂

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.