Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 6560b
Ubuntu LTS

Hello,

Long story short: A laptop was donated to me. I did not have access to the Win10 OS, but i didnt mind, because i wanted Ubuntu on it. I tried to boot from a USB i had, but with no luck. After several hours of troubleshooting, asking friends and forums i did not find a solution.

I found out that one is able to boot and install ubuntu from Windows, via Unetbootin, so i reset the Windows OS, made a new user, installed Unetbootin and booted with Ubuntu.

Something went wrong, and i ended up with Ubuntu with no GUI. I tried to install/activate GUI but found there was network trouble. When i tried to apply netplan it gave me this:
"The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of netplan-wpa-wlp36s0b1.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units"

I tried that with no result. And i remembered sudo at both entries.

So now im stuck: I have working ubuntu but with no GUI. I cant install anything, because i have no network, even ethernet doesnt work. i can't boot from USB because.... i don't know. So what do i do from here?

History:
i just installed Ubuntu on another machine, but it seems that there's nu GUI included. I downloaded the ISO from ubuntu.com and installed with UNetbootin from win10. I tried to follow a guide for installing GUI by starting with installation of GDM3, but there was a lot of errors with it (probably because i have no internet connection), so now i'm here, asking you for advice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.