Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (114 Views)

Random Reboots - AMD Northbridge Fatal Error

Product Name: HP 15-bw500 Laptop PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having an ongoing problem with a relatively new laptop, in that it spontaneously reboots.  No screen of death, no error message, nothing - just black, then reboot.  No chance to save work, either, which is the major thing.

I'm not super techie, but looking in Event Viewer it seems like there was a "fatal error" with the following details:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 03/01/2018 22:43:36
Event ID: 20
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE

Description: A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor APIC ID: 0

This is not a new problem, but this is the first time I've associated it with this error message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've had this occur twice in the last 12 hours, and obviously it's a major problem.

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 2 (79 Views)

Re: Random Reboots - AMD Northbridge Fatal Error

I'm getting basically the same errors on a Pavilion that my wife uses. We started having the spontaneous reboots after installing Windows 10 1709. Looking at the dump file the restarts generated it seems to point to the AMD CPU. 

We did have issues with Malwarebytes not being able to start Web protection so I removed and reinstalled. So far, so good. I checked for updates with the HP Support Assistant but there was nothing new. I found a new AMD display driver checking with Device Manager however. Maybe that will also fix some of the issues. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation