Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 7 (1,262 Views)

Random Reboots - AMD Northbridge Fatal Error

Product Name: HP 15-bw500 Laptop PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having an ongoing problem with a relatively new laptop, in that it spontaneously reboots.  No screen of death, no error message, nothing - just black, then reboot.  No chance to save work, either, which is the major thing.

I'm not super techie, but looking in Event Viewer it seems like there was a "fatal error" with the following details:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 03/01/2018 22:43:36
Event ID: 20
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE

Description: A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor APIC ID: 0

This is not a new problem, but this is the first time I've associated it with this error message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've had this occur twice in the last 12 hours, and obviously it's a major problem.

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 7 (1,227 Views)

Re: Random Reboots - AMD Northbridge Fatal Error

I'm getting basically the same errors on a Pavilion that my wife uses. We started having the spontaneous reboots after installing Windows 10 1709. Looking at the dump file the restarts generated it seems to point to the AMD CPU. 

We did have issues with Malwarebytes not being able to start Web protection so I removed and reinstalled. So far, so good. I checked for updates with the HP Support Assistant but there was nothing new. I found a new AMD display driver checking with Device Manager however. Maybe that will also fix some of the issues. 

Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (1,144 Views)

This is happening to me too after getting my laptop four weeks ago. It has happened four times in the past week. Has your problem been resolved ot still ongoing?

Honor Student
Message 4 of 7 (1,123 Views)

So far I'm so good. I worked with the Support folks who verified I had the latest drivers and firmware. They had me run the system diagnostics that showed my hardware was good. Finally, I was left with doing a restore back to factory defaults. Ugh. Took most of an afternoon to reinstall everything and then bring it back up to Windows 10 1709. So far, after about a week, I'm not had any blue screens / restarts - yet. Holding my breath. My warranty runs out in two months so I'll be keeping a watch on things in case I need to return it for service. 

Good luck on your issue.

Student
Message 5 of 7 (656 Views)

I have the same issue on HP 15bw, and when i check event viewer. i found the same error you mentioned..

did you find any resolutions?

Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (625 Views)

I contacted HP support by live chat using the HP Support Assistant. The agent I was talking to stated that this was a known issue with the graphics adapter. They took control and made some changes. Since then it has worked perfectly.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (622 Views)

I didn't find anything particular based on my crash. I did change a Fast Startup setting in the power settings section that I'm hoping will help. It's been 4 days and so far no crashes. 

I did, update my AMD graphics driver in hope that it may also help out. Fingers are crossed!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation