Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
sleekbook 15 b035el
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello

My computer has been shuting down at random times for a while now. It can happen minutes after boot or hours.

Sometimes it has trouble rebooting after one of this crashes as it shuts down instantly after i press the power button for multiple times. 

I ran most hardware tests and found the HDD had to be replaced, i did that and problem was solved for a few weeks but then the issue  represented itself, new hardware tests found no problems.

Sometimes  moving the laptop provokes the shutdown but sometimes it happens when perfectly still. Maybe some faulty connection / loose cable?

Event viewer gives a critical error "The system watchdog timer was triggered"  event id :13  Origin: HAL.

I would like some help to track the problem and i can give more info if needed .

Operating system is windows 8.1 and is updated as all drivers and bios are.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Pao3,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand you are having issues with the laptop shuts down randomly even after replacing the hard drive on your HP Pavilion Sleekbook. Don't worry, we'll work together to find a solution for you,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you made any software or hardware changes made on the PC?

Was any update/reset interrupted, recently?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

In the meantime, let's try to perform these steps here:

Perform a Hard Reset

Please perform the steps suggested in the support document for No Power or No Boot Troubleshooting - Click here

Step 1: Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages

Step 2: Checking for failed hardware

Step 3: Updating the BIOS (Skip if you have already done this step)

Step 4: Performing a System Restore

Step 5: Recovering the computer

For further assistance, click here

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer, I didn't make any software or hardware change prior to the first appearance of the problem, almost 6 months ago. Performing a refresh seemed to have solved it at the time but when i do it the problem comes back in a few weeks.

For example with the new HDD after updating drivers and to windows 8.1 it seeemed to have worked like a charm, but it wasn't for more than 15 days again.

I am hoping to trace the root of the problem for a more stable solution!

HP Recommended

Hi @Pao3,

Thanks for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have tried to fix the issue temporarily, but want a  permanent solution to fix this issue, I would suggest you perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the PC back to the original factory conditions. Please remember to backup your data before running the recovery. If for some reason recovery fails, this means either the partition is corrupted or system file is missing. 

Link to perform System recovery: Click here

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. 

Note: If it's a software issue, this should take care of the problem. If the issue persists, I would suggest this to be a hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance, 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.