cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Starboy0511
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Re: Cannot install Windows 10 - Driver not foun

HP Recommended

How can I change the name of my driver for my new OS install can find it Needs to be driver C an it is driver 0 now

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,149 7,864
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Starboy0511 

The terms you are using are confusing.  The c: "drive" (not "driver") is lettered that way automatically because it is the OS drive when you boot into Windows.  This "drive" is actually a "volume" and they are lettered automatically.

When folks refer to drive zero, they are referring to the physical drives, not the volumes.  So, if you have two physical drives in your laptop, the first will be zero, the second "one".

The term "driver" has nothing to do with the logical drives (volumes) or the physical drives; instead, it is software that allows the OS to talk to hardware, in this case, your hard drive. 

So, why are you trying to install Windows?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation