Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

my hp 250 G7 KEEPS RESETTING TO UEFI FROM LEGAGY MODE WHEN THE BATTERY IS DOWN. SO I OPENED IT UP TO CHECK FOR CMOS BUT COULDNT FIND ANY. WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM?

my LAPTOP CHANGES FROM LEGACY TO UEFI THEREBY SAYING "NO BOOT DEVICE FOUND" UNTIL I CHANGE IT TO LEGACY ON BIOS SETUP. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook does not have a CMOS battery.

You will need to replace the battery to retain the BIOS settings if they go from Legacy to UEFI. because UEFI is the default BIOS setting.

If I were you, I would reinstall W10 in UEFI mode so that when the battery dies, the setting will be on UEFI since it is the default.

To install W10 in UEFI mode, boot your W10 installation media from the EFI USB diskette on key/USB hard drive from the F9 boot options menu.

You will probably need to have legacy mode enabled so that you have two lists of boot options in the F9 boot options menu--Legacy and UEFI.

Again, boot from the UEFI USB flash drive, not the Legacy one, and your problem will be solved (whether or not you replace the battery right away).

Since installing W10 in EFI mode requires a clean install, back up any files you need to save onto a portable hard drive because you will lose everything when you reinstall W10.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook does not have a CMOS battery.

You will need to replace the battery to retain the BIOS settings if they go from Legacy to UEFI. because UEFI is the default BIOS setting.

If I were you, I would reinstall W10 in UEFI mode so that when the battery dies, the setting will be on UEFI since it is the default.

To install W10 in UEFI mode, boot your W10 installation media from the EFI USB diskette on key/USB hard drive from the F9 boot options menu.

You will probably need to have legacy mode enabled so that you have two lists of boot options in the F9 boot options menu--Legacy and UEFI.

Again, boot from the UEFI USB flash drive, not the Legacy one, and your problem will be solved (whether or not you replace the battery right away).

Since installing W10 in EFI mode requires a clean install, back up any files you need to save onto a portable hard drive because you will lose everything when you reinstall W10.

HP Recommended

thanks for this help......i will go for it

HP Recommended

Hi Kornellz101,

This could be a corrupt BIOS, have you checked for any BIOS updates?

IT Professional & Independent Advisor
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you go to reinstall W10 and if you get an error that states in substance that Windows can't be installed to this disk, use the diskpart utility>clean disk command to get past that issue.

Watch this video...It's for Windows 8, but it works the same way for W10.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table - YouTube

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.