Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
N8M18PA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can an end user who passes the full remote access of his laptop to a Hp technician be sure that during the session his laptop was totally secure (i.e. not any private data has been transferred from his laptop or not any malicious data/app has been transferred to end user laptop)??Also , is it possible for the technician to enter the customer laptop once the session is disconnected , in any case or by any means?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Why don't you tell us a little more about what happened? If it was a legitimate HP support session you have nothing to worry about but there are unfortunately some bad actors out there posing as HP reps and if you connected to one of those they probably did leave a reconnection cookie on your computer. 

Those guys do generally try to get money from you while you are talking to them however. They would much rather have your cash than your data...much easier than getting your money from credit cards or the  like stored in your computer if you give it to them voluntarily. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Why don't you tell us a little more about what happened? If it was a legitimate HP support session you have nothing to worry about but there are unfortunately some bad actors out there posing as HP reps and if you connected to one of those they probably did leave a reconnection cookie on your computer. 

Those guys do generally try to get money from you while you are talking to them however. They would much rather have your cash than your data...much easier than getting your money from credit cards or the  like stored in your computer if you give it to them voluntarily. 

HP Recommended

I had certain issue in my laptop(mostly related with battery) and I called this number **bleep** searched from the internet. The technician there asked me to provide remote access to my system even though I had just contacted them to make sure if my battery  is under my extended warranty or not. He said he would like to install some softwares and check the whole system. The remote access connection was made via LogmeIn Rescue on hp.com/123. After 25  minutes of operation , he said the internet connection wasnot much strong and guided me with some steps to do the above tests. How can I make sure that everything was legitimate and my laptop is totally secure??Also how to make sure if none of backdoor channel has been established?? 

HP Recommended

That's a legitimate HP number. You called them which is good. The bad guys will call you. You could run a complete scan with Malwarebytes' ADWCleaner and Antivirus scan but trying to determine if you have been hacked is an advanced task and beyond anything we can try to run through here. This will give you an introduction:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/have-i-been-hacked/

Again, your encounter was with a legitimate HP agent and you have nothing to fear. 

HP Recommended

hello

i have a 2 part question. 1 i was chatting with a hp rep thru the hp website and had a sensative excel file opened. i forgot to click the red X button to revoke permissions.  I was on for about an hour, could the tech have accessed or copied my opened file.  I didn't see anything happening on the screen.  Part 2.  I called the hp help line for a neighbor, they called back and i gave them permission to the computer.  they ran some cmd files & said that the firewall was down & they could fix if i gave them a cc.  I then realized it was a scam & disconnected.  I ran malware full scan, norton full scan, checked files running at start and task manager and didn't see anything.  do you think that there was maleware added or would they just phishing?

thank you

HP Recommended

1. Assuming it was a legitimate HP technician your file is safe. 2. No way to tell what the scoundrels did from this vanatage point. See above. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.