Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 2000
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,

I work at a pawn shop, and we have a problem we have never encountered before.  This laptop, which is cleared and is now for sale in the shop, now asks for an administrator password or power on password.  It did not do this when it was brought in, nor when it was pulled from the back.  We were going to power it on for a customer, and it just started asking us for this password.

I have seen in another post that you enter through it 3 times to get a code, so here is the code:

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please try this Password = 74685370

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

KNRK

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Please try this Password = 74685370

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

KNRK

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Same here.  My wife responded to a popup on Yahoo which claimed to have found a security error on her HP ProOne 400 G1 23-inch Non-Touch All-in-One PC.  Fortunately, she caught on when the scammer started asking for money, but in the meantime he had installed a password, the request for which pops up very shortly after the initial boot.  Short of wiping the disk and re-imaging the machine (losing a lot of personal photos and correspondence) what can I do to recover the machine?

It asks for the password twice and then goes into a recovery process that always fails and then restarts, asking for the password again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.