Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15" Laptop (1DM32EA) 2017 7th Gen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi there.

I have decided to install Linux on my hard drive (the 2TB one instead of the 128GB Solid State drive), and Linux successfully installed on the partition that I made available from the 2TB drive. I used the Linux distribution for a while and it was working successfully, no problems. I wanted to replace the Linux distribution with another one, which installed successfully in the same partitioned space as the first one, but then it couldn't install the Grub Bootloader at the end to complete the installation. I have tried several times to install Linux and the Grub bootloader, but still no success. I decided to remove all partitions and restore my 2TB drive to its original state, but now I am stuck with 2 Linux OS boot managers (UEFI) underneath the original "Windows Boot Manager" on the boot selection screen when I press the "F9 hot key"

It currently looks like this:

-------------------------------------------
Boot Option Menu

OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager
OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Linux(1)
OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Linux(2)
Boot From EFI File
-------------------------------------------

Any help to remove those 2 Linux entries would be greatly appreciated, because currently Grub won't install, and there's no way I can reinstall Linux without Grub bootloader. I would most probably be able to reinstall Linux once those entries have been removed and the boot manager menu only has the Windows Boot Manager option left.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Forgot to mention:

I haven't touched the Windows 10 OS or the 128GB Solid State drive, and Windows 10 is still running 100% on there, no issues.

It's just that I am now unable to install the Grub bootloader, and therefore I won't be able to use Linux after the installation has completed.
HP Recommended

We do have a few members who dabble in Linux and one may notice your post and pop in. However I think you might get faster assistance  posting on a Linux forum.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply CheryIG.

I have tried to do Linux related tasks already, but because I am unable to install or even use Linux at the moment, I am unable to use apt-get to download and install the required packages because I can only use Live USB/CD.

I tried to use "bootrec /fixboot" and "bootrec /fixmbr" in Command Prompt from Windows' recovery options and troubleshooting, but still no success either.

Thank you
HP Recommended

Hello! Although I'm not a Linux expert, and certainly not an authority on HP products, I think I found the answer to your question (I too had an errant UEFI entry in my F9 startup menu). FOund the answer here:

https://superuser.com/questions/930725/how-to-delete-os-from-boot-menu

I applied the solution from a Fedora terminal, and finally rid myself from a random ubuntu entry from at least a year back. Note that the # mentioned in the solution is not necessarily a single digit... (in my case, # = 0000)

-----------------------------------------------------

[user@localhost ~]$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,3001,0002,0000,2001,2002,2004
Boot0000* ubuntu
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0002* Fedora
Boot2001* EFI USB Device
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo efibootmgr -b 0000 -B
[sudo] password for user: XXXXX
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,3001,0002,2001,2002,2004
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0002* Fedora
Boot2001* EFI USB Device
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.