Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion G 6 Series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased my Pavilion G6 in 2012 but didn't really start using it until summer 2015.  This past April the screen went black.  I took it to a shop and they ruled out a damaged monitor and suggested it was a failed motherboard.  I called HP Support and they pretty much confirmed this.  The recommended I shop online for a replacement and gave me the product number for one.  I found one that was certified to work and long story short installed it this past weekend.  I watched a couple of youtube videos on how to disassemble and reassembly a Pavilion G6.  As far as I know, it replaced the motherboard correctly.

PROBLEM:  After powering it up, the Caps Lock blinked once every few seconds and the wifi F12 keyed lighted a constant amber.  I could hear the fan running but not the hard drive.  I watched another video and it suggested I take the battery out and plug in the power cord and let the BIOS charge a few hours.  I left it overnight to do so.  Now when I press power, the F12 amber light comes on constant, the Caps Lock blinks once, then the machine shuts off after a few seconds.   I have no reason to believe the motherboard is defective.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @JamPat

As the part you replaced is not an HP genuine part. So we cannot guarantee the functionality of the part.

One blink on the caps lock- indicates the CPU on the laptop is non-functional and you have to get the laptop serviced.

Also, since the laptop is more than four years old, it is considered to be an obsolete product. There are no parts available for this product.

However, you can try contacting HP support and check if you can find any service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.