Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 830 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Guys

I have a HP Elitebook 830 G6 laptop which has a bios password which we don't seem to know what it is.

The owner of the laptop was having an issues with the keyboard in that some of the keys weren't working.

She called HP who wanted to update the bios.  We set a bios password though so she's called me up for the bios password.

I connected remotely to the laptop and where the dialogue box prompting for the bios password (prior to updating the bios)  was i entered in the bios password.  I've had this on a number of occasions where the bios password doesn't work in Windows yet when you reboot the laptop and hit esc to go into the bios setting, the bios password is then accepted.

I tried to talk the owner through clearing the bios password in bios but she's ended up setting a new bios and can't remember what she entered.  I saw on the HP forums that people were saying that i can obtain an smc.bin from HP which clears the bios password.

I've called HP but they said they stopped giving this file out about 2 years ago.  They're saying i need a new motherboard and it's chargeable.

I just wondered if anyone know of any other way to clear the bios password other than paying for the motherboard to be replaced.

Thanks

Dave

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Support Community Moderator
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.