Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 14 bf-015nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop won't boot, all i get are the LED's flashing.I have been told to reset the CMOS,but i could not find the battery or the jumper.I have an Hp pavillion 14 bf-015nd ,thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are not going to find a CMOS battery or jumpers. That is good advice for a desktop computer but modern laptops with an internal battery use that battery as the RTC/CMOS battery so if you want to "reset" it remove the battery from its connection on the motherboard, let the computer sit for 30-60 minutes then plug it back up and try again. The chances this will work are very small but not zero. 

See p. 29 of the Manual here:

Manual

Are you still under warranty? This is not a very old laptop. If you are then best not to open it and make a warranty claim. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You are not going to find a CMOS battery or jumpers. That is good advice for a desktop computer but modern laptops with an internal battery use that battery as the RTC/CMOS battery so if you want to "reset" it remove the battery from its connection on the motherboard, let the computer sit for 30-60 minutes then plug it back up and try again. The chances this will work are very small but not zero. 

See p. 29 of the Manual here:

Manual

Are you still under warranty? This is not a very old laptop. If you are then best not to open it and make a warranty claim. 

HP Recommended

Yep, i did that and it worked.but i keep getting a checksum error before it boots.I am trying to solve it now.thank you

HP Recommended

Go into BIOS and reset to default settings. When you remove the RTC clock power it sometimes makes weird settings in the BIOS. Check system time, too. It may be off. 

You might want to accept as solution as this was pretty good free technical support and others might want to see it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.