Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 13-s194nr (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife's notebook has been running well for about 6 years without updating Hardware Diagnostics UEFI or the BIOS, as she hadn't needed them.  Yesterday, she found a problem with her battery.  I did some searching in support.hp.com and found an update for the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI that would enable me to test and, if necessary, calibrate the battery.  I also found an appropriate BIOS update.

Toward those ends, I executed the following tasks this morning:

1. installed v.7.4.0.0 Rev.A of the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI by downloading and executing file sp99005.exe

2. pressing <esc> then <F2> at boot brought me to the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI and the things I tried there worked OK

3. updated the Insyde BIOS from version F.25 to F.28 by downloading and executing file sp96175.exe, and that worked OK

4. started the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI at boot again to start the battery work

5. noticed a line at the top of the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI screen that indicated the tool was in need of an update

6. dug around in support.hp.com and found an update for Hardware Diagnostics UEFI to v.8.7.1.0, filename sp141572.exe

7. downloaded and installed the update

8. Now, pressing <esc> then <F2> at boot brings me a blank black screen that does not respond to any of the keys I try and doesn't time out after 10 minutes.  The other items on the <esc> menu at bootup (F1, F9, etc.) work OK.

I have been unable to find any information in support.hp.com that would allow me to uninstall Hardware Diagnostics UEFI v.8.7.1.0 and revert to the v.7.4.0.0 Rev.A which was working.  I attempted the following:

9. attempted to re-install v. 7.4.0.0 Rev.A by executing file sp99005.exe

That attempt failed with an error message that said I couldn't install it over the newer version that was in place.

I also attempted to use the Windows 10 Control Panel and Windows 10 Settings | Apps to uninstall Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, but it does not appear in either place, so can't be uninstalled from there.

I need to get Hardware Diagnostics UEFI working so I can troubleshoot the battery issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ted Champagne
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @champted 

(1In most cases, the simplest solution:

=> Use Windows Restore to return to the restore point (date) >>> before <<< you installed <HP Diagnostics UEFI v.8.7.1.0>

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

See section < How to recover using System Restore on Windows 10 >

(2Please report your results

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @champted 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Let me check your current system configuration.

(1) Run    msinfo32

- Select <System Summary>:

--->>> Copy/paste following key/value pairs:

OS Name

Version

System Model

System SKU

( equals HP product number (p/n) )

Processor

BIOS Version/Date

HP Recommended

@Ub6424 Thank you for your reply.  The information you requested follows.

champted_0-1664572903118.png

champted_1-1664572960647.png

champted_2-1664573035155.png

Ted Champagne
HP Recommended

Hello @champted 

(1In most cases, the simplest solution:

=> Use Windows Restore to return to the restore point (date) >>> before <<< you installed <HP Diagnostics UEFI v.8.7.1.0>

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

See section < How to recover using System Restore on Windows 10 >

HP Recommended

@Ub6424 Thank you for that suggestion.   Regarding that, there's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I didn't think to set any system restore points in this process.  Let that be a lesson to me.

The good news is that I did a system backup with AOMEI Backupper before I started this process.  I think if I were to restore that backup, I could start the process over and *not* do the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI v.8.7.1.0 update this time, and I'd arrive at the same point you were trying to get me to.  Would that be correct?

And by the way, I would set system restore points as I go along this time 🙂

Ted Champagne
HP Recommended

Hello @champted 

(1) Backup <all> personal data (documents/pictures/videos etc...) to external <USB hard drive>

(2) Put your plan into action

(3) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hello @Ub6424,

It worked.  I was able to install v.7.4.0.0 and I am currently using it to discharge the battery for calibration.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Ted Champagne
HP Recommended

@champted wrote:

Hello @Ub6424,

It worked.  I was able to install v.7.4.0.0 and I am currently using it to discharge the battery for calibration.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

You're welcome !

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.