Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP 15 laptop seems to be having an odd issue. I wanted to go into the BIOS setup options, however, when I press the F10 key it just goes blank with a single cursor at the top left corner, the other F keys work. Windows 10 boots just fine. The BIOS screen was working fine a while back but I never had the need to access it until for a while so I am not sure when it stopped working.

I updated the BIOS revision from F.09 to the latest, F.48 Rev.A, one from the HP website but that still hasn't solved the issue. Has anyone else had a similar issue like this? I battery drain and BIOS recover (Win key plus b, and Win Key plus v) but nothing is working. 

Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@DetailsByBill

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8(Refer to the removable and sealed battery)
BIOS default:(do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and    Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

If the issue persists, follow the next steps.

• Firstly, remove the hard drive from the computer.
  • Once the hard drive is removed turn on the computer without the hard drive- While booting as the computer doesn’t detect a hard drive so it’ll automatically roll back to the previous bios.
  • Put the HDD back in and turn it ON. It might give an error about the improper shutdown. Just click continue and it should boot to windows.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Prior to the bios issue is reinstalled windows 10 after removing Chrome OS from the hard drive.

I'm able to boot into Windows 10 which runs fine.

I'm not able to make any BIOS updates as F10 results in a blank screen.

I have tried to get at the CMOS battery and the HDD but am unable to remove the bottom cover to expose the components. It seems to be hung up at the upper part of the laptop nearest the hinges.

Bill

HP Recommended

Try to get on the BIOS setup from the Windows Recovery. Go to the Settings menu then choose the Update&Security then click Recovery. From there click the "Restart now" on the Advanced Startup. That'll take you to the "Choose an option." Click Troubleshoot then Advanced Options and finally click UEFI Firmware Settings  and restart your laptop to get on the BIOS. If this works, you can, as suggested by Echo_Lakes,  click "Apply Factory Default" settings and save and exit. The Apply Factory Default appears on my Elitebook 840 G3 BIOS and your laptop may show slightly a different entry. See if this will fix your F10 key issue.

Take care

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.

The process takes me to BIOS settings but F9 in BIOS Setup does not offer a Factory Default option.

Bill

HP Recommended

Ok then you need to look for an entry like Load Setup Default or Load Default Settings on either the Main or Exit tab on the BIOS then save and exit. after the restart see F10 work or not. 

Take care

HP Recommended

I was able to use the process to get into BIOS. SElected F( which allowed me to select F10 which got me into BIOS setup. I selected load default boot keys which seems to have resolved my issues. 

Thanks.

Bill

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.