Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x2 - 12-a003ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since applying the HP Spectre ME Firmware Update 1.00 Rev.A (Oct 17, 2017, sp82271.exe), my PC acts weird:

1) Shutdown never completes after the screen has been switched off by the system. To start again I first have to press the power button for 5 seconds.
2) Reboot takes much much longer. I have to wait very long while the screen is dark after shutting down (backlight switched off by the system).

BIOS is up to date (Rev. 28A). Any idea what might help here? Is it possible to rollback the ME update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's the solution: It turned out to be a hardware problem. Main board, display and SSD were changed and the shutdown/boot issues are gone.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Other observations:

Before installing the update a short press of the power button switched the computer off when in boot menu (reachable via ESC key on startup). Yes, I need secure boot disabled and legacy boot enabled.

Now, pressing the button freezes the computer at the boot menu. The only option is to press the power button for 5 seconds to manually switch off.

I also tried to reinstall the current BIOS Rev. 28A, but the system denies it.

I'm not very happy with all this!

HP Recommended

Hi @jnc,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the computer won't boot properly after the recent update. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

Start with a hard reset to release any excessive static on the PC: 

• If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown. 

• If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off. 

• With the pogo through the were off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer. 

• With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out. 

• Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power. 

Attempt to reset or recover the existing BIOS (if the recent update was interrupted): Click here 

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC 

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates 

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update 

For more details: Click here 

If the issue happened after a recent update. Follow the below steps to make changes, small tweaks to resolve your concern:

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button. 

Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down. 

Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down. 

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings: 

At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results. 

In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does. 

To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes. 

To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes. 

To learn more about the power options: Click here 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Jeet_singh,

Thanks for your reply.

I played various scenarios through for shutdown/reboot. The problem persists: The computer never shuts down completely - I always have to press the power button for 5 seconds. Otherwise, the computer won't respond to the power button to start. And, reboot (from Windows) takes _far_ too long as described above.

Interestingly, the ME firmware update reset all my BIOS settings to their default values. BIOS version is unchanged. I have Rev. 28A.

Reinstalling the current BIOS does not work. The installer for Rev. 28A in Windows says my system is unsupported. Trying to flash the 28A BIOS from the Firmware Management (HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI) leads to the error message: "System BIOS update failed. Unable to successfully flash BIOS image".

Rollback to Rev. 27A is not possible, too. Error: "Unable to open BIOS signature file."

HP Recommended

Hi @jnc

As I understand you are having issues restoring the bios, this looks like a possible hardware failure where the Bios needs to be flashed, the only option would be to have the unit picked up for repair. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here's the solution: It turned out to be a hardware problem. Main board, display and SSD were changed and the shutdown/boot issues are gone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.