Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15S-EQ1037NH
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I just bought a HP 15S-EQ1037NH notebook and having some hard time with its sleep mode and shut down mechanism. This is what happens:

Sleep mode

• When I use Windows menu for sleep mode or just close down the screen it looks like the notebook goes to sleep properly. The power indicator light is slowly blinking.
  • If I open up the screen after a short time it wakes up immediately and everything is fine.
  • But if it stays in sleep mode for a longer period (more than 1 hour) when the screen is opened up again the screen is black, and the computer is not responding (I tried several things, space, left click, power etc.) The power indicator light is on and (weirdly) the Caps lock light is blinking in a pattern (5 slow, 3 fast blinks). Also I hear that the fan is spinning up. Only force shutdown works at this point.

Shut down
  • Shutting down the notebook properly ends in a similar situation. It turns off, every light off, looks fine.
  • But when I push the power button to turn it on the screen stays black and the notebook does not respond to anything. The power indicator light is on and the Caps lock light is blinking in the same pattern as mentioned above.

Battery
  • Sometimes I can hear the fan is running during sleep mode.
  • After couple of hours in sleep mode the battery dies despite the notebook should not use any significant amount of power while it sleeps.

I have tried to modify the energy management options and what the notebook does on pressing power button, updated BIOS from HP's website, but the problem remains.

Thank you in advance for your help.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ancsi123

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Also try these steps

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type cmd. Then click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

Click Yes when prompted with a User Account Control window.

2. Type the following command lines and press Enter after each:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off powercfg.exe /hibernate on

3. Again, try to put your PC to sleep and wake it up to see if it functions properly. If yes, then you’ve resolved the issue! If it’s still not waking up, you should try Fix 5, below.

Fix 5: Tweak power settings

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type powercfg.cpl into the box and press Enter.

2. Click the chosen power plan and click Change plan settings.

3. Click Change advanced power settings.

4. Double-click on Sleep, then set Allow hybrid sleep in Off and setAllow wake timers to Enable.
  5. Click Apply > OK.
  6. Restart your computer

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.